PDE problem : diffusion equation help

In summary, Sarah found a way to solve the nonhomogeneous boundary condition problem by separating the variables. She thinks the answer is in the first place, and she worked it out.
sarahisme
Hi all,

I am stuggling with this question ...

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2662/picture6fb5.png

so far i have only tried part (a), but since i can't see how to do that so far... :(

ok so what to do...

do we first look at an 'associated problem' ? ... something like

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4544/picture7vu3.png

lol, this stuff is all quite confusing :confused:

-Sarah

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm ok i tryed some more and i come up with this answer:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3903/picture8cm8.png

however i don't know how to simplify it from here, i have looked up integral tables and still no luck. any suggestions guys? lol assuming the answer is right in the first place! :P

cheers
-sarah

i think you can solve these by separation of variables that is

assume u(x,t) is a product of two functions - one which depends on x, and one which depends on t
maybe something like this u(x,t) = F(x) G(t)

and solve from there
your text should give a description of doing such a problem...

hmm i can't seem to get separation of variables to work... what do you reckon for part (b)?

For part (b), you need to reduce the nonhomogenous boundary condition problem to a homogeneous one.

J77 said:
For part (b), you need to reduce the nonhomogenous boundary condition problem to a homogeneous one.

ok, that sounds like a good idea... but how do i go about doing that ? a hint please ;)

also, what do you think of my answer for part (a)?

Last edited:
hmm ok let me see.. what about if we let w(x,t) = exp(-x)

then u(x,t) = w(x,t) + v(x,t)

then v(x,t) satifies: http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7427/picture10zn8.png

so then we have to solve that pde problem? :S

its cool guys i worked it out! :D yay

1. What is a PDE problem and how is it related to diffusion equations?

A PDE (Partial Differential Equation) problem involves finding a function that satisfies a given PDE. Diffusion equations are a type of PDE that describe the spread of a substance or property through a medium.

2. How do I solve a PDE problem involving a diffusion equation?

There are several methods for solving PDE problems, including analytical methods such as separation of variables and numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. The appropriate method will depend on the specific problem and its complexity.

3. Can you provide an example of a real-world application of a diffusion equation?

Diffusion equations have many applications in various fields of science and engineering, such as chemical reactions, heat transfer, and population dynamics. For example, the spread of pollutants in a body of water or the movement of heat in a solid material can be described using a diffusion equation.

4. How do boundary conditions and initial conditions affect the solution of a diffusion equation?

Boundary conditions specify the behavior of the solution at the edges of the domain, while initial conditions determine the solution at the starting point. These conditions play a crucial role in determining the unique solution to a given diffusion equation problem.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using diffusion equations to model real-world phenomena?

Like any mathematical model, there are limitations and assumptions when using diffusion equations. For example, they assume a continuous and homogeneous medium, neglecting any heterogeneities or discontinuities. It is essential to carefully consider these limitations when applying diffusion equations to real-world problems.