How to Complete the Square for a Diffusion Equation?

In summary: The first thing is to state the problem correctly:$$\frac{-(x^2-2xy+y^2)+4kty}{4kt}$$which is not what you have written. Rearrange the numerator to$$-(y^2+(2x-4kt)y)-x^2$$Now complete the square, not forgetting the - out in front$$-(y^2+(2x-4kt)y+(x-2kt)^2)+(x-2kt)^2-x^2$$ $$=-(y+(x-2kt))^2+x^2-4kxt+4t^2-x^2$$Now
trap101
Ok this qusestion has to do with completing the square for a diffusion equation.

Initial Cond: u(x,0) = e-x

Now they say plug this into the general formula:

u(x,t) = 1/(4[itex]\pi[/itex]kt)1/2 ∫ e-(x-y)1/2/4kte-y dy where k is a constant

now the first step they say is completing the square of:

-( x2-2xy+y2)+4kty/4kt

with respect to the y variable, and they get:

- [(y+2kt-x)2]/4kt + kt - x

Now I could not get this, I also tried expanding out the final result and reverse engineer the result but in doing so I got stuck with an extra term:

y2+ 2y(2kt-x) + x2 + (2kt-x)2 - (2kt-x)2

this step is when I perform the process of completing the square before trying to factorize everything and it is here that I am having trouble. Please help if you can I have the midterm in a couple hrs.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
Ok this qusestion has to do with completing the square for a diffusion equation.

Initial Cond: u(x,0) = e-x

Now they say plug this into the general formula:

u(x,t) = 1/(4[itex]\pi[/itex]kt)1/2 ∫ e-(x-y)1/2/4kte-y dy where k is a constant

now the first step they say is completing the square of:

-( x2-2xy+y2)+4kty/4kt

The first thing is to state the problem correctly:
$$\frac{-(x^2-2xy+y^2)+4kty}{4kt}$$which is not what you have written. Rearrange the numerator to$$
-(y^2+(2x-4kt)y)-x^2$$Now complete the square, not forgetting the - out in front$$
-(y^2+(2x-4kt)y+(x-2kt)^2)+(x-2kt)^2-x^2$$ $$
=-(y+(x-2kt))^2+x^2-4kxt+4t^2-x^2$$Now put the denominator back in and simplify it.

hi trap101! :smile:
trap101 said:
-( x2-2xy+y2)+4kty/4kt

[(y+2kt-x)2]/4kt

= -[y2 + 4k2t2 + x2 - 2xy + 4kty - 4ktx]/kt + kt - x :wink:

Related to How to Complete the Square for a Diffusion Equation?

1. What is integration for a PDE?

Integration for a PDE (Partial Differential Equation) is the process of finding a solution to a PDE by integrating it with respect to one or more of its independent variables. This allows for the determination of the unknown function or functions in the PDE.

2. Why is integration important in solving PDEs?

Integration is important in solving PDEs because it allows for the conversion of a PDE into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved using traditional mathematical methods. It also allows for the determination of the general solution to a PDE, which can then be used to find specific solutions for boundary value problems.

3. What are the different types of integration methods for PDEs?

The most commonly used integration methods for PDEs are separation of variables, method of characteristics, and Fourier transform. Other methods include Laplace transform, Green's function, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods.

4. What are the challenges of integrating a PDE?

One of the main challenges of integrating a PDE is determining the appropriate integration method to use, as this can vary depending on the type of PDE and its boundary conditions. Another challenge is ensuring the integration is done accurately and efficiently, as PDEs can be complex and require careful calculations.

5. How is integration for a PDE used in real-world applications?

Integration for a PDE is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and finance, to model and solve complex systems. It is used to predict the behavior of systems such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and option pricing. In real-world applications, integration for a PDE allows for the analysis and optimization of these systems, leading to advancements in technology and industry.