1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE with constant coefficient using orthogonal transformation

1. Mar 27, 2006 #1
    Plz Help :(

Hi

I want 2 know how 2 solve 1st order partial differintial equation (PDE) with constant coefficient using orthogonal transformation

example :
    solve: 2Ux + 2Uy + Uz = 0

THnx :blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2006 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would tackle this one geometrcially. You can express the left side of your PDE in terms of a directional derivative, as follows:

[tex]D_{\vec{v}}u=0[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\nabla}u=0[/tex]

Now let me ask you something:

Can you identify [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]? Can you figure out the lines along which [itex]u[/itex] is constant?

4. Mar 30, 2006 #3
    Thnx sir

but the dr. who teach me, didn't use this way with us

when we have aUx+bUy+cU=f , where a,b,c,f are constants
    he take tan(r)=b/a
    then he find r
    after that take w=xcosr+ysinr , t=-xsinr+ycosr
    then find Ux , Uy
    that's it

so if i have aUx+bUy+cUz+dU=f
    can i take same w, t and z=z ???

5. Mar 30, 2006 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My approach is not much different from your professor's.

This equation:

can be written in the following form.

[tex]D_{\vec{v}}u+cu=f[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{v}=<a,b>[/itex].

What your instructor did was rotate the x-axis so that it coincides with the vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. In that coordinate system there is only one independent variable, and so you effectively have an ODE. The rotation matrix that carries [itex]\{x,y\}[/itex] into [itex]\{w,t\}[/itex] is given by the following.

[tex]R_{z}(r) = \left[\begin{array}{cc} \cos(r) & \sin(r)\\ -\sin(r) & \cos(r) \end{array}\right][/tex]

No, that's not it. All that does is transform the equation. It still remains to solve it.

You will want to do a rotation about some axis so that one coordinate axis is parallel to [itex]\vec{v}=<a,b,c>[/itex].

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?