PDLC film on low voltage (3-6V)?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to hide a 6cm*2cm stripe beneath a device using either a PDLC film or an Electrochromic Display. The challenge is finding a power source that can run at a lower voltage, preferably 3-6V. Suggestions are made for using coin cell batteries or a low-power mechanical means, but other options such as LCD screens or miniature venetian blinds are also discussed. The main concern is finding a solution that is both low-cost and sustainable for scaling.
ma55imo
Hello community,
I am working on a device project that requires a stripe of roughly 6cm*2cm to hide something beneath programmatically. A PDLC film could do the job, but I need to find a way to power with a series of coin cells battery, something between 3 and 6V. All the PDLC films I found are running at a much higher voltage.
Do you believe for such a small surface I have a way to power a PDLC film over one or more coin batteries?

thanks for tips.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I did a quick search on Amazon and found "Black Box Battery Smart Film Starter Kit 4" X 3" Film Switchable Glass Pdlc"

So, I think a little google searching will find what you want.

I know thanks for your answer, but they are all 3*12V. As I wrote, I wonder if I can get it to work a smaller size 6cm*2cm with much lower voltage, something around 3 to 6V as I need to use coin cell like batteries.

To get 60VAC from button batteries would require a high frequency switching circuit and a transformer. I'm not sure about the practical limits of that design. Nor am I sure about the power losses which affect battery life.

Does you design allow for the size and weight of a transformer, a circuit board, and potentially "short" lifetime?

Live time could be ok, size might not.
Thanks for your answer. Appreciated.

ma55imo said:
I am working on a device project that requires a stripe of roughly 6cm*2cm to hide something beneath programmatically. A PDLC film could do the job, but I need to find a way to power with a series of coin cells battery, something between 3 and 6V. All the PDLC films I found are running at a much higher voltage.
Yeah, coin batteries and medium high voltage don't really go together very well. It can be done, but it's not a good fit, IMO.

Can you say more about what you want to hide? There are other low-power techniques for hiding and revealing stuff that size. Would it be best if the state were latching? That is, once the hide/show state was changed, it requires no more power to maintain the state.

I have a green stripe, size 6cm*1cm, the device is 5cm*20cm but it's thin, I could get it to 10-12mm. I have a microcontroller 10mm*20mm and I could use any CR2032 or multiple of them. Been looking at Electrochromic Display which would be better as once the state has changed, they don't need any power, they are also super low power, but I guess they have to be manufactured, I can find screens already commercialized.
I could find cheap PDLC screens but I haven't found anything that could run on a small voltage.
Thanks for any tips.

Attachments

• greenstripes.jpg
    greenstripes.jpg
    454 bytes · Views: 341
ma55imo said:
I have a green stripe, size 6cm*1cm, the device is 5cm*20cm but it's thin
So you want the green stripe to turn black? Or white?

Since the stripe is smaller across than your device, can you just use a low-power mechanical means to move it from one side of the device to the other to hide it?

Yes, I just need to hide the stripes, they could be black or white or any color really.
The mechanical means is a good idea but the device is flexible so not sure I would manage to do it nicely. I think I need more an ECD or PDLC or something similar.

Instead of hiding what is beneath, can you put the beneath content on a lcd screen? Lcds are low power, low voltage (as in our phones) and some are flexible.

yes, that is another solution, for the PoC it will work, but it is not sustainable, those screens will get to 15+ usd when you need to scale, it will have a relevant impact on the device cost.

How about miniature venetian blinds. They could even be colored green on one side and white on the other. The gear drive you normally see in blinds would not be needed. To open/close the blinds, use a lever arm on each blind and pull with a string (Nylon? Kevlar?) with an electromagnet.

Or if you want single-use, instead of an electromagnet, use a spring to preload the blinds appropriately and a release mechanism (electro-thermal?) to release.

(Just throwing ideas at the wall to see if they stick. :biggrin:)

EDIT:
(found with: https://www.google.com/search?&q=flexible+lcd+shutter)
http://www.lc-tec.se/products/fast-optical-shutters/

also try: https://www.google.com/search?&q=flexible+electrophoretic+shutter
end edit:

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is PDLC film on low voltage (3-6V)?

PDLC (Polymer Dispersed Liquid Crystal) film on low voltage refers to a type of film that contains liquid crystals dispersed in a polymer matrix. This film is designed to respond to low voltage (3-6V) electrical signals, causing the liquid crystals to align and change the opacity of the film.

2. How does PDLC film on low voltage work?

PDLC film on low voltage works by utilizing the properties of liquid crystals and polymers. When a low voltage electrical signal is applied, the liquid crystals align in a specific direction, causing the film to become transparent. When the voltage is turned off, the liquid crystals return to their random orientation, making the film opaque.

3. What are the applications of PDLC film on low voltage?

PDLC film on low voltage has a wide range of applications, including privacy windows, smart glass, projection screens, and electronic displays. It can also be used in the automotive industry for sunroofs and rearview mirrors, as well as in the medical field for privacy curtains and smart windows in hospitals.

4. What are the advantages of using PDLC film on low voltage?

One of the main advantages of PDLC film on low voltage is its low power consumption. As it only requires a low voltage to operate, it is energy-efficient and cost-effective. It also offers privacy and light control, making it a versatile solution for various applications. Additionally, PDLC film on low voltage is lightweight, thin, and flexible, making it easy to install and suitable for curved surfaces.

5. Are there any limitations to using PDLC film on low voltage?

One limitation of PDLC film on low voltage is that it requires a power source to operate. This can be a disadvantage in the event of a power outage. Additionally, the film may not be suitable for high-temperature environments as it can affect the performance of the liquid crystals. It is also important to note that the film may have a limited lifespan, depending on the frequency of use and the quality of the materials used.