Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum Damping force effect on amplitude over time

1. May 1, 2015 #1
    I am struggling with setting up a problem to solve for the change in amplitude of a pendulum affected by a damping force (presumable air friction) over a time period.
    The original amplitude of the pendulum is 1.4 m from the equilibrium on a 15 m massless wire with a 110 kg brass bob at the end. The damping force is 0.010 kg/s. This force is dependent on velocity and I have set up an equation for velocity dependent on time -
    dv/dt = -ωAsin(ωt+Φ0). I know that this force will always oppose motion but I am having trouble putting these together to see the affect on the pendulum bob's acceleration and amplitude. I was wondering if I should just use the pendulums max velocity at the bottom to approximate this damping force & then apply this to the # of oscillations to get a rough estimate on the decrease of acceleration at the bottom & then solve for amplitude or if there is another more accurate way to solve this problem.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2015 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

The damping force is not constant: Fair(t) = -k * v(t), (assuming laminar airflow). k is a constant.

If you are able to, then setup a model using Laplace transform. You will get a position output from the model in the form:

Y(s) = A / (s2 + Bs + C) that can be rewritten:

Y(s) = A / (s2 + 2ζωns + ωn2), ξ = damping ratio, ωn = resonance frequency [rad/s].

The inverse transform of Y(s) will give you position(t).

post-1379-0-41542500-1345410496.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook