Why are people against physics?

• Thread starter jk22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, this article is a joke, but there are people who really don't like science. Science communication needs to be better, and schools should focus more on philosophy and methods of science.
jk22
I found this old link recently : http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/UnNews:WBC_takes_strong_stand_against_physics

Apparently some don't like physics

Physics news on Phys.org
You do know it's a joke, right?

no I didn't I thought they condemned physics for all the nuclear weaponry

jk22 said:
no I didn't I thought they condemned physics for all the nuclear weaponry
No, it's made up. From the top of the page

Welcome to the Mother Ship of amateur comedy writing!(Amateur means we don't pay you to do it.)

We hope you will http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Special:CreateAccount, stick around, and let us show you how to write http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/HTBFANJS fake http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Uncyclopedia:About!

That article is a (poorly written and not very funny) joke, but there are legitimately people who dislike (some very strongly) science and the attempt to rationalize the natural world. This, from what I can tell, is almost always motivated either by extreme ignorance and misconception of what science is, or by strong religious bias.

I know for a fact that some people hate a person who understands something. that's because most if not all people think they are the > smartest, truest and deepest. now try telling a supermodel that she isn't the prettyest because maybe you like natural beauty, watch out for the daggers!

thankz said:
I know for a fact that some people hate a person who understands something. that's because most if not all people think they are the > smartest, truest and deepest.
Actually, I think the problem is much more that they know very well that they are NOT any of the things you said, even if they don't admit that to themselves (and certainly not to others).

Whilst there are people who just plain hate that scientific discovery conflicts with their religion/ideology (e.g. creationists) I'd argue that they are a minor problem for most western countries. A far bigger problem is that science communication to the general public is shockingly bad. It stands to reason that if your experience of science (aside from school years before) is what you read in the news or see spread over facebook you're going to get a very warped and even negative view. Something I often hear from various people is criticism on how scientists are constantly changing their mind on what foods are good for you, what gives you cancer etcetera. In reality news sites are reporting any minor discovery as a revolution and wearing out the public with constant over sensationalism. Coupled with an often paternalistic/elitist attitude amongst some prominent public science figures and it's no wonder science isn't respected as much as it could be (though for the record I think plenty of the public respect and understand it just fine).

I've come to believe that not only should science education in schools focus far more on the philosophy and methods of science (as opposed to teaching facts) but advanced science courses should also have communications/media modules. Time and time again very important issues are bungled by scientists relying on the media to report honestly (GM crops in Europe, nuclear power etc). It would be of benefit if we were also trained in ways in which we could effectively communicate our findings and opinions (clearly separated) directly.

Likes Evo, JorisL, russ_watters and 1 other person
So who is more at fault: the yellow journalists or the scientists who fail to take ownership of their own communication/interaction with the public?

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. We can assign blame to journalists but a journalist has to get paid, to get paid they have to write stories that sell, sensational stories sell more than those that don't. Ultimately the problem has to be dealt with by multiple groups, the only "simple" solution that comes to mind is a huge focus on critical reading, media and science education throughout school years.

The only people I know against physics are on the payroll of large companies and have an agenda...or are crazy!

What is "People Against Physics"?

"People Against Physics" is a movement or group of individuals who are opposed to the principles and theories of physics. They may believe that physics is too complex or difficult to understand, or they may have personal or philosophical objections to the concepts of physics.

Why do some people oppose physics?

Some people may oppose physics because they believe it does not align with their personal beliefs or values. Others may find the subject matter too complex or abstract, making it difficult for them to understand. Additionally, some individuals may have had negative experiences with physics in the past, leading them to develop a dislike for the subject.

What are some common arguments against physics?

Some common arguments against physics include the idea that it is too abstract and doesn't have practical applications, that it is too difficult to understand, and that it goes against certain religious or spiritual beliefs. Others argue that physics is limited in its ability to fully explain and understand the complexities of the universe.

How do scientists respond to these objections?

Scientists generally respond to objections against physics by explaining the importance and relevance of physics in understanding the natural world and the universe. They may also provide examples of practical applications of physics in everyday life. Additionally, they may address misconceptions and provide evidence to counter arguments against physics.

Is it okay to be against physics?

Yes, it is okay to have personal opinions and beliefs about physics. However, it is important to keep an open mind and be willing to learn and understand the scientific principles and theories that govern our world. Rejecting physics without a proper understanding or consideration of evidence can limit our understanding of the world around us.