How Does Bryson DeChambeau's Physics Background Affect His Golf Game?

In summary, Bryson DeChambeau won the US Open 2020 golf tournament. He is the first person to win the US Open twice.
atyy
Science Advisor
I don't play golf. but this caught my eye.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/54229887
US Open 2020: Bryson DeChambeau storms to first major title at Winged Foot, New York
"DeChambeau's unique methods have divided opinion since he turned professional in 2016. Fans find them innovative, critics call them irritating.

The former physics student's experiments have seen him dubbed 'The Scientist', tinkering with oversized grips, cutting all his clubs to the same length and most recently piling on more than 40lbs in the past year."

DeChambeau majored in physics at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryson_DeChambeau

Likes berkeman, BillTre and mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
The 40 pounds thing... Basically he just crushed the gym for the last year to become the strongest golf player and get the longest drives. It's weird that that's presented as some weird science experiment that no one else could figure out.

Likes BillTre and atyy
Office_Shredder said:
The 40 pounds thing... Basically he just crushed the gym for the last year to become the strongest golf player and get the longest drives. It's weird that that's presented as some weird science experiment that no one else could figure out.

I don't know enough physics to know off the top of my head whether it makes sense, though it seems a possibility. Maybe if he wins a few more, other golfers might start beefing up their weight training.

atyy said:
I don't know enough physics to know off the top of my head whether it makes sense, though it seems a possibility. Maybe if he wins a few more, other golfers might start beefing up their weight training.
In the past 18 years, there have been 17 different winners of the US Open. Only one player has won it twice in that time. The British Open, similarly, has had 16 different winners in the past 18 years. And, there is not a lot of commonality between the two lists of winners.

It's interesting to speculate why golf, more than any other major sport, is so random at the top level. In any case, let's wait and see if Bryson wins another.

Likes atyy
I like this story.
Its like the Moneyball approach in baseball (sophisticated analytics) and the more active achievement approaches that have followed (redesigning pitcher motions to achieve better pitches (as measured by radar and high speed video measured velocity, spin and spin axis).
There is also, just plan old directed body building approaches used in many teams sports (strength coaches).

Office_Shredder said:
atyy said:

It seems to me that this is just bringing to golfing that which has been going on in other (usually well financed teams) sports for quite a while. More well directed body building and analysis of body movement so that the participant can better achieve his/her desired end.

Why only now golf? Maybe since its most a single person sport, its less competitively driven and due to involving fewer people (to brainstorm together problems/solutions) less innovative.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
BillTre said:
Why only now golf? Maybe since its most a single person sport, its less competitively driven and due to involving fewer people (to brainstorm together problems/solutions) less innovative.

Golf generally has been analysed perhaps more than most sports. There has been massive innovation, especially in club development: not least the "anchored" putter, which is now banned. And Nick Faldo, infamously, completely remodelled his swing when he was already a top player. And subsequently won six majors.

The players generally have become fitter and stronger, although (as a contrast) Shane Lowry (a jovial, rotund Irishman) won last year's British Open.

DeChambeau may be taking a scientific analysis to the next level in some respects, but he's not the first.

Likes atyy and BillTre
I was thinking about the clubs, but don't really know a lot about the sport in general.
However, I don't think golf analysis is anywhere near that of professional baseball.
the only golf teams I am aware of are in colleges.
I really doubt a single individual, without a lot of financial and other support will be able to approach the level of baseball sophistication.
I suspect that the innovations in clubs were done by the companies making the clubs, driven by the profit motive.

Baseball analytics: Moneyball approach
https://www.bigleagueedge.com/baseball-technology/
The angles players swing at pitches, the speed of their swing, and the angle and velocity at which the ball comes off the bat can now all be instantly determined for any batter on a properly equipped field.

Likes atyy and PeroK
BillTre said:
I was thinking about the clubs, but don't really know a lot about the sport in general.
However, I don't think golf analysis is anywhere near that of professional baseball.
the only golf teams I am aware of are in colleges.
I really doubt a single individual, without a lot of financial and other support will be able to approach the level of baseball sophistication.
I suspect that the innovations in clubs were done by the companies making the clubs, driven by the profit motive.

Baseball analytics: Moneyball approach
https://www.bigleagueedge.com/baseball-technology/
The angles players swing at pitches, the speed of their swing, and the angle and velocity at which the ball comes off the bat can now all be instantly determined for any batter on a properly equipped field.
Actually, I recently re-read The Great American Novel by Philip Roth. The prodigous twelve-year-old son of one of the Patriot League teams infuriates the coaches and players by insisting that their anecdotal wisdom about the game be replaced by statistical analysis. In particular, the sacrifice bunt has to go.

Golf analysis goes way back. Here's John Jacobs, the "golf doctor" from 1972:

Likes BillTre
DrClaude said:
For those interested in the state of golf analytics, I recommend this episode of the baseball podcast Effectively Wild:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/effecti...isport-sabermetrics-exchange-tennis-and-golf/

Interesting!

Ben Lindbergh (who did that podcast and is a former 538 writer) published a book this year on the modern technical approach to improved training for baseball: The MVP Machine. Could not remember the name of this book yesterday (too tired).
In the book, the pitcher Trevor Bauer (Cincinnati Reds, currently 2.32 ERA), is given as an example of someone who took this approach. He characterizes himself as a not particularly gifted athlete who has worked hard using these methods to become very good at a professional level.

atyy said:
DeChambeau majored in physics at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryson_DeChambeau
How do DeChambeau's drives compare with those of John Daly. "According to official performance statistics kept since 1980, Daly in 1997 became the first PGA Tour player to average more than 300 yards per drive over a full season. He did so again in every year from 1999 to 2008, and he was the only player to do so until 2003."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Daly_(golfer)

Likes atyy

1. How did a physics major win the US Open?

A physics major winning the US Open is not as uncommon as one may think. Many professional athletes have a background in science, as it requires a strong understanding of physics to be successful in sports. Additionally, the analytical and problem-solving skills acquired through studying physics can give athletes an advantage in their sport.

2. What specific skills from studying physics helped the winner in the US Open?

Some key skills from studying physics that may have helped the winner of the US Open include a strong understanding of mechanics, such as force, motion, and energy, as well as the ability to analyze and interpret data. These skills can be applied to various aspects of sports, such as optimizing movement and strategy.

3. Is there a correlation between studying physics and success in sports?

While there is no direct correlation between studying physics and success in sports, many athletes with a background in science have been known to excel in their sport. This is because the principles of physics can be applied to sports to enhance performance and give athletes a competitive edge.

4. Are there any other examples of physics majors winning prestigious sports competitions?

Yes, there are several other examples of physics majors winning prestigious sports competitions. Some notable examples include Olympic gold medalist and gymnast, Shannon Miller, who holds a degree in engineering physics, and former NFL quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick, who majored in economics and physics.

5. How can studying physics benefit athletes in their sport?

Studying physics can benefit athletes in various ways, such as improving their understanding of movement and mechanics, enhancing their problem-solving skills, and providing them with a unique perspective on their sport. Additionally, studying physics can also open up opportunities for athletes to pursue careers in sports-related fields, such as sports technology and biomechanics.