Understanding the Composition of Na4AlF6: A Comprehensive Analysis

• Thread starter danne89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Composition
In summary, the conversation is about the structure and oxidation numbers of the compound Na4AlF6. The bonding between Al and F is covalent, while the bonding between Na and the other group is ionic. The oxidation numbers for Na and Al are +1 and +3, respectively. However, the compound does not exist as a neutral molecule, so discussing its concentration of other molecules does not make sense. The compound could possibly be cryolite, which is commonly used in the production of Aluminum.
danne89
Hi! How many per cent of NaF and AlF3 does Na4AlF6 consist of?

I get 20 % NaF, but that isn't correct. I've done such problems before, just this seems to be unusual. Can you maybe check my work.

Greatfull,
Danne

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Question:What is the structure (geometry and bonding) and oxydation numbers of this hexafluoroaluminate of sodium
[tex] Na_{4}AlF_{6} [/tex]

Daniel.

[tex]4 Na^-~ Al^{3+} ~ 6F^-[/tex]
So the bonding between the F's and the Al is covalent. And the bonding between the Na's and the other group is ionic.

How do you write oxydation numbers in Latex? Anyway, it looks like this, I think:
Na_4 - -4
Al - +3
F_6 - -6

It can't be correct, though, for the numbers must equals zero.

Yes,that's what i was insinuating.The compound doesn't exist as a molecule (it's not neutral).Therefore it makes no sense to discuss its "concentration" of other molecules...

Daniel.

Spooky. I'll look it over some more times.

I suspect, your original compound is cryolite ([itex]Na_3AlF_6 [/itex]), which is commonly used in the molten form for the electrolytic production of Aluminum.

[tex]Na_3AlF_6 \equiv 3NaF + AlF_3 [/tex]

PS : Na has oxid state = +1

1. What is the chemical formula for Na4AlF6?

The chemical formula for Na4AlF6 is sodium tetrafluoroaluminate.

2. What is the molar mass of Na4AlF6?

The molar mass of Na4AlF6 is 201.93 g/mol.

3. What is the structure of Na4AlF6?

Na4AlF6 has a cubic crystal structure, with one sodium ion bonded to four fluoride ions and one aluminum ion bonded to six fluoride ions.

4. What is the melting point of Na4AlF6?

The melting point of Na4AlF6 is approximately 1000°C (1832°F).

5. What are the common uses of Na4AlF6?

Na4AlF6 is commonly used as a flux in the production of aluminum and other metals, as a component in electrolyte solutions for aluminum electrolysis, and as a source of fluoride ions in various chemical processes.