Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Per cent

1. Jan 25, 2005 #1
    Hi! How many per cent of NaF and AlF3 does Na4AlF6 consist of?

I get 20 % NaF, but that isn't correct. I've done such problems before, just this seems to be unusual. Can you maybe check my work.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Question:What is the structure (geometry and bonding) and oxydation numbers of this hexafluoroaluminate of sodium
    [tex] Na_{4}AlF_{6} [/tex]

4. Jan 25, 2005 #3
    [tex]4 Na^-~ Al^{3+} ~ 6F^-[/tex]
    So the bonding between the F's and the Al is covalent. And the bonding between the Na's and the other group is ionic.

How do you write oxydation numbers in Latex? Anyway, it looks like this, I think:
    Na_4 - -4
    Al - +3
    F_6 - -6

It can't be correct, though, for the numbers must equals zero.
  5. Jan 25, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,that's what i was insinuating.The compound doesn't exist as a molecule (it's not neutral).Therefore it makes no sense to discuss its "concentration" of other molecules...

6. Jan 25, 2005 #5
    Spooky. I'll look it over some more times.
  7. Jan 25, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suspect, your original compound is cryolite ([itex]Na_3AlF_6 [/itex]), which is commonly used in the molten form for the electrolytic production of Aluminum.

[tex]Na_3AlF_6 \equiv 3NaF + AlF_3 [/tex]

PS : Na has oxid state = +1
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?