Percentage Saving in mass/(weight) of a hollow shaft - equation?

• Thread starter MathsRetard09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shaft
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an equation to calculate the percentage saving in mass gained by using a hollow shaft instead of a solid shaft. The individual has found a "dodgy" equation that does not work and is in need of a legitimate equation urgently. They provide the dimensions for the solid and hollow shafts and attempt to use the "dodgy" equation, but get a result that is too high. They then continue to search for a proper equation and eventually find one that uses the areas of the two shafts. They also mention a length that is equal for both shafts and express their frustration with their research skills. Finally, they ask for help in finding an equation and express their desire to eventually help others
MathsRetard09

Homework Statement

I'm looking for an equation that i can use to work out the percentage saving in mass gained by using a hollow shaft rather than a solid shaft.

The question is simply that.

I've done research and found a dodgy equation that doesn't work for me, this is below, and I know there is area involved somehow but can't find anything legit at the moment and this is urgent, I need this sorted by lunchtime tomorrow.

Homework Equations

Dodgy Equation use: [Ds^2-(D^2-d^2)/Ds^2]*100

The Attempt at a Solution

Ds = Diameter of Solid Shaft = 0.177 m (This was worked out but it is correct)

D = External Diameter of Hollow Shaft = 0.23 m (This was given in the orginial question)

d = Internal Diameter of Hollow Shaft = 0.198 m (Also figured out but correct)

Using the above 'dodgy' equation that I've now come to call, I got the following answer: 56.28 %

Which is way too much I was predicting something along the lines of 10 - 15 %

Ok I just found something else and will do it all here whilst I'm looking at it:

Area of Ds^2 - Area of Dh^2 / Ds^2 = % Saving

Now the Area of a Solid Shaft from what it tells me is:

pi/4 * Ds^2

= pi/4 * (0.177)^2

= 0.0246 m^2

Area of Hollow Shaft:

pi/4 * (D^2 - d^2)

= pi/4 * (0.23^2 - 0.198^2)

= 0.0108 m^2

% = Ds^2 - Dh^2 / Ds^2

= (0.0246^2) - (0.0108^2)

= 0.8073

Well yes I didn't have high hopes.

See I have a length that's equal to both shafts which is: 10.6 m

Surely, this is used in the area somewhere?? My researching skills recently a very poor and my concentration is becoming a joke.

I don't need any workings out, just an equation to work with.

I feel like a regular to this site now, and I keep asking for help, I'm going to have to some day help someone else for the sake of karma haha.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and for any help or advice you wish to give.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Compute the volume of your solid shaft.
2. Compute the volume of the hollow part.

Subtract 2 from 1. Percentage saving = 2/1. Oh yeah, times 100.

What is the equation for calculating percentage saving in mass/weight of a hollow shaft?

The equation is: % Saving = (Original Mass - New Mass) / Original Mass * 100%

Why is it important to calculate percentage saving in mass/weight of a hollow shaft?

Calculating percentage saving allows us to compare the weight of a hollow shaft before and after changes have been made, providing insight into the efficiency or effectiveness of those changes.

What factors can contribute to percentage saving in mass/weight of a hollow shaft?

The design and material of the hollow shaft are major factors that can impact the percentage saving in mass/weight. Other factors may include manufacturing processes, structural changes, and material properties.

Can the percentage saving in mass/weight of a hollow shaft be negative?

Yes, it is possible for the percentage saving to be negative. This occurs when the new mass is greater than the original mass, indicating that the changes made have actually increased the weight of the hollow shaft.

How accurate is the percentage saving in mass/weight equation for a hollow shaft?

The accuracy of the equation depends on the accuracy of the measurements used for the original and new masses. It is important to use precise and consistent measurements to ensure an accurate calculation.