Percentage saving in weight of sloid shaft Vs hollow shaft

  • Thread starter Thread starter adam333
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Shaft Weight
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
adam333
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have calculated the external diameter and the solid shaft is to be replaced by a hollow shaft whose internal diameter equals 60% of the external diameter, the length, material, and maximum shear stress remaining unchanged.

How can I calculate the percentage saving in weight?
What are the equations that are relative to this?

Thank u for ur help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

adam333 said:
I have calculated the external diameter and the solid shaft is to be replaced by a hollow shaft whose internal diameter equals 60% of the external diameter, the length, material, and maximum shear stress remaining unchanged.

How can I calculate the percentage saving in weight?
What are the equations that are relative to this?

Thank u for ur help

Hi adam333! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: volume = cross-section-area times height …

so how much is the cross-section-area reduced? :wink:
 
adam333: For the hollow versus solid shaft, hold applied torque and maximum shear stress constant, and set inside diameter of the hollow shaft equal to 60 % of the outside diameter of the hollow shaft. List relevant equations, and show your work.