Engineering science- Replacing hollow shaft with solid shaft

In summary, this conversation discusses a problem involving a hollow shaft and its properties, including maximum torque, pilot second moment of area, maximum shear stress at the outer edge, and maximum angle of twist. The conversation also includes a question about the diameter of a solid shaft that would have the same properties as the hollow shaft. The solution involves using the polar moment of inertia and the shear modulus to calculate the new diameter. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the strength and natural frequencies of hollow and solid shafts.
Andyhnc

Homework Statement

Hi, thanks for looking! Appreciate it!

Right, the question is

For a HOLLOW shaft determine, max torque induced, pilot second moment of area, max shear stress at outer edge, and max angle of twist induced in the shaft, with a material modulus of rigidity of 110 GN/m2. Given that-
Shaft diameters, 160mm and 140mm, length 650mm, power 350kw at 3500rpm.

I have calculated all of these and got what look to be reasonable answers, but the second part of the question is, if you were to replace the hollow shaft will a solid shaft, what would the diameter of the new shaft be? If it were to perform the same duty of max torque and max shear stress.

I have no formula for working this out??

The only info I have is-
T\J = ζ/r

And

∏Ds4
(over)
32 Ds/2

Hope someone can help, thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
For torque problems with hollow circular shafts you are working with the polar moment of inertia given by:

J = (pi/32)(Do^4 - Di^4)

If the shaft is solid, set Di = 0 and proceed.

can i use this to calculate the required diameter of the solid shaft?

Size it by making the shearing stress the same as it was for hollow shafts.

sorry I still don't understand?

Shearing stress in a shaft under torsional at radius r load is given by

stress = Tr/J

J is the polar moment of inertia is given by

J = pi(Do^4 - Di^4)/32

where Do and Di are outer and inner diameters, respectively and T is torque.

For a solid shaft, set Di to zero.

The shear modulus G

G = S/y
where S is stress and y is the shearing strain which is r*theta/L
where r is radius of beam
theta is angle of twist
L is length of beam

Theta, the angle of twist is
theta = T*L/(G*J)

Put all this together so that the solid shaft has the same shearing stress in its outer fibers as the hollow shafts.

Thanks again for replying, so I work out the value for J by setting Di to zero, then I use this in the calculation for stress using a value of radius that makes the stress the same as it was for the hollow shaft, and that value is my solid shaft radius? Just to confirm? Or, can the equation for stress be transposed to get radius. Thanks agen!

Andyhnc said:
Thanks again for replying, so I work out the value for J by setting Di to zero, then I use this in the calculation for stress using a value of radius that makes the stress the same as it was for the hollow shaft, and that value is my solid shaft radius? Just to confirm? Or, can the equation for stress be transposed to get radius. Thanks agen!

You can transpose the equation to solve for radius. Aside from getting students familiar with computing stress in shafts due to torque, this problem will demonstrate that hollow shafts are nearly as strong as solid shafts due to the 4th power in the calculation for J. Hollow shafts have considerably higher natural frequencies than solid ones and this is quite important in the design of spinning shafts.

So I'm thinking it would transpose to r x T/j ?

Andyhnc said:
So I'm thinking it would transpose to r x T/j ?

The maximum stress occurs at the outermost surface where r = Do/2. Use the values for stress for the hollow shafts and determine a new Do from above equation. Do not forget that J is a function of the diameter.

1. What is the difference between a hollow shaft and a solid shaft?

A hollow shaft is a cylindrical bar with a hollow center, while a solid shaft is a cylindrical bar with a solid center. The main difference between the two is their structural integrity and strength. A solid shaft is generally stronger and more rigid than a hollow shaft of the same size and material.

2. Why would a hollow shaft need to be replaced with a solid shaft?

There are a few reasons why a hollow shaft may need to be replaced with a solid shaft. One reason is that the hollow shaft may have become damaged or worn out, reducing its structural integrity and making it less reliable. Another reason is that the application may require a stronger and more rigid shaft, which a solid shaft can provide.

3. What are the advantages of replacing a hollow shaft with a solid shaft?

Replacing a hollow shaft with a solid shaft can bring a few advantages. As mentioned before, a solid shaft is generally stronger and more rigid, which can improve the overall performance and reliability of the application. Additionally, a solid shaft can often be more cost-effective in the long run, as it may require less maintenance and have a longer lifespan.

4. Are there any drawbacks to replacing a hollow shaft with a solid shaft?

One potential drawback of replacing a hollow shaft with a solid shaft is the added weight. A solid shaft is typically heavier than a hollow shaft, which can be a concern for applications that require lightweight components. Additionally, the cost of a solid shaft may be higher than a hollow shaft, depending on the material and size.

5. How can I determine the correct size and material for a solid shaft replacement?

The size and material of the solid shaft replacement should be determined based on the specific application and its requirements. Factors to consider include the power and torque requirements, speed and rotational forces, and environmental conditions. Consulting with a mechanical engineer or utilizing shaft sizing calculators can help determine the best size and material for a solid shaft replacement.