1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hollow shaft power transmission

1. Dec 16, 2013 #1
    Hello all this is my first post so i hope i can give you the relevant data in the correct format, also thank you for any assistance :)

I am to find the OD of a hollow shaft when the shafts ID is 0.75 of the OD dimension, the shaft transmits 3MW at 200Rpm. The Shear stress max is 55 MN/m2 and the modulus of rigidity is 80 GN/m2. The OD can be no larger than 270mm / 0.27m.

Power = 2.Pi.N.T/60 n = 200rpm

Torque = (p.60)/(2.Pi.N)

Torque applied = 143.2 KNm

J (second moment of area) = Pi(D4-d4)/32

I now know i can use Ta/J = τ/r and transpose that,

Ta/J = 2τ/OD

Subbing J so i can then transpose the equation to find the D(OD), by changing out the d(ID) and r for OD parameters.

Ta/[Pi/32(D4-(0.75.D)4)] = 2τ/D

I need to transpose this equation for D (the outer diameter) but i'm stuck, i hope this makes sense. The problem is i have calculated all the the answer assuming the max size of 0.27 which is strong enough to transmit the torque but i realise now i need to find the outer diameter with the figures i have given above.

Regards

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you know the applied torque Ta and the max. shear stress τ from your calculations and the OP.

you can substitute these values into your equation:

Ta/[Pi/32(D[itex]^{4}[/itex]-(0.75.D)[itex]^{4}[/itex])] = 2τ/D

and solve for D. All it requires is a little algebra.

4. Dec 16, 2013 #3
    I got this far i am not sure how to move the (0.75)4 away so i can leave D4 - D4 on that side, leaving me with just D on the other side. It seems i need to catch up on some basic algebra.

https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q80/s720x720/1480744_581451648571507_706677602_n.jpg

5. Dec 16, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember, 0.75^4 is a number. You can evaluate numbers. Cross-multiply your expression above to make an algebraic equation in the unknown variable D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted