Perception of faster than light travel?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
metal_maniac
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I'm currently taking a modern physics course, I came across this problem which really threw me off guard:

Three spaceships A, B, and C are in motion as shown in the figure. The commander on ship B observes ship C approaching with a relative velocity of 0.83c. The commander also observes ship A, advancing in the rear, with a relative velocity of 0.48c. As measured by commander on ship B, at what speed is ship A approaching ship C?

Attempt at a solution: I used the transformations equations which resulted in a value of 0.94c.
observed velocity = [(-0.83c) - 0.48c]/[1-(0.83c*0.48c/c^2)] = 0.937c
0.94c was one of the possible answers so I picked it... it was wrong.
The correct answer was 1.3c.

Is this even possible?
I do suppose that someone with no knowledge in physics would just add the two velocities like it was Galilean transformations, but we're taking about the commander of a ship, pretty sure he wouldn't just add them together.
Is this just a badly written question or am I missing some things in my understanding? Any help is appreciated!
Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The relativistic formula for addition of velocities is used when you want to change frames.
Here things are different. You're actually calculating the closing speed of spaceships A and C in the B's frame. He sees A to travel at 0.48c and C to travel at 0.83c, so if he attempts to find the time derivative of the distance between the two, he has no way other than simply adding their velocities.
I should say that this doesn't violate SR since there is no mass or energy going faster than light!
Take a look at here for more information!
 
Last edited:
You're a life saver!
I was stuck on this question for so long, and my textbook had no explanation for it.
Thank you so much!