Perfect Floating Ball Illusion (inspired by Jeff Koons' Art)

In summary, the conversation discussed a video from the Royal Institution where the host tried to replicate an art piece by Jeff Koons involving a floating ball illusion. The host used salt and water to achieve the desired density but noted a difference in refractive indices between tap water and saline water. Suggestions were made to use glycerol or a better balanced ball to eliminate this difference and create a more convincing illusion. The conversation also touched on the use of illusions to deceive and the lack of information on the actual materials used in the original illusion. A link to the video was also provided.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Recently I chanced upon a video from the Royal Institution. The host has tried to replicate a piece of art by Jeff Koons (snapshot from video):

Annotation 2019-08-02 221728.png

At Ri, they have tried to produce the same thing by balancing the ball filled with water, in a tank containing saturated saline water at the bottom, and tap water on top:

Annotation 2019-08-02 221516.png

However, as you can see from the above picture, there is a clear difference in refractive indices between tap water and saline water. But this is not present in the original version.

Any other ideas to create this kind of "floating ball illusion"?

• Love
Likes davenn
Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
I assume Koons created a fluid mix that is (1) as clear as water and (2) is more dense than water and (3) has the same refractive index as water. I don't even know if you CAN make such a thing but that's what seems most likely.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Wrichik Basu said:
Recently I chanced upon a video from the Royal Institution. The host has tried to replicate a piece of art by Jeff Koons (snapshot from video):

Koons dissolved salt (sodium chloride) in water to achieve the desired density, but you could also use glycerol to tune the density.

Andy Resnick said:
Koons dissolved salt (sodium chloride) in water to achieve the desired density, but you could also use glycerol to tune the density
Actually, we don't know what Koons used. The host in the video used salt in water. Glycerol can be used as well, but there will again be a marked difference in refractive indices, which is what I want to eliminate.

Wrichik Basu said:
However, as you can see from the above picture, there is a clear difference in refractive indices between tap water and saline water. But this is not present in the original version.
Maybe it is just a matter degree. At some point the difference in refractive index might become not perceivable, but requires a better balanced ball.

As this was an illusion, the 'football' may not have been a football but a very thin skinned sphere (balloon), made of a material with a density very near to the mean between fresh and low concentration salt water.
Add to that, the different background in the original image, the distortion could be better hidden.
Illusions make us assume certain things about the situation and that's where the showman sneaks things past our critical faculties. Is there a link to the actual video?

sophiecentaur said:
Is there a link to the actual video?
I have put a link in post #1. In that video, you can see the illusion. Other than that, I don't have a link to any other video on the original illusion.

1. How does the "Perfect Floating Ball Illusion" work?

The illusion is created by using a combination of mirrors and lighting techniques. The ball is suspended from the ceiling using a thin wire that is virtually invisible to the viewer. The mirrors are strategically placed to reflect the ball's image, making it appear as though it is floating in mid-air.

2. Is the "Perfect Floating Ball Illusion" a physical or digital artwork?

The "Perfect Floating Ball Illusion" is a physical artwork, as it involves the use of real materials and techniques to create the illusion. It is not a digital artwork that can be replicated or manipulated using technology.

3. Is the "Perfect Floating Ball Illusion" a new concept?

No, the concept of using mirrors and lighting to create the illusion of a floating object has been used by many artists in the past. However, Jeff Koons' artwork has popularized this technique and brought it into the mainstream art world.

4. Can the "Perfect Floating Ball Illusion" be recreated at home?

While it is possible to recreate a similar illusion at home using mirrors and lighting, it requires a lot of skill and precision to achieve the same effect as the original artwork. It is recommended to leave it to the professionals.

5. What is the significance of the "Perfect Floating Ball Illusion" in the art world?

The "Perfect Floating Ball Illusion" challenges our perception of reality and raises questions about the boundaries between art and illusion. It also highlights the use of technology and techniques in contemporary art, and the impact it has on our understanding of traditional art forms.