Period of anharmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical and physical implications of solving for the potential V(x)=x^4 and its period T in the range of a\in [0,2], where a is the amplitude of oscillation and m is the mass of the particle. It is noted that the period diverges for small values of a, which can be explained by the flatness of the potential at those points. The concept of a Taylor expansion is introduced and it is mentioned that for power potentials with p\geq3, the potential can be approximated by a harmonic oscillator. However, for V(x)=x^4, the HO approximation results in T=0 or infinity everywhere, showing that the approximation is only valid for x
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Well I numerically solved for the potential [itex]V(x)=x^4[/itex], the period:
\begin{equation}
T = \sqrt{8m} \int_0^a \frac{dx}{\sqrt{V(a) - V(x)}}
\end{equation}

where [itex]a[/itex] was the amplitude of the oscillation and [itex]m[/itex] the mass of the particle.
Nevertheless, what I was asked to plot was the above period [itex]T(a)[/itex] for [itex]a\in [0.,2.][/itex].
My problem however is that the period of small values of [itex]a[/itex], diverges. I was able to see how this is the case mathematically, by expanding the square root and obtaining an expression for [itex]T[/itex] that goes for [itex]V(x)=x^p[/itex] as:
[itex]T \sim \frac{1}{a^{p/2-1}} [/itex]
which reproduces also the [itex]V=x^2[/itex] result of constant period.

However I cannot picture what is happening physically. Does it have to do with the flatness of the potential at so small a's and so x's?
Any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine the potential curve as a literal valley, with the particle a small object sliding along the surface.
You start the object stationary at x=a, let it go, and measure how long it takes to return... and call that number T.
What happens to T as the start position gets closer to zero?

Likes ChrisVer
Simon Bridge said:
Imagine the potential curve as a literal valley, with the particle a small object sliding along the surface.
You start the object stationary at x=a, let it go, and measure how long it takes to return... and call that number T.
What happens to T as the start position gets closer to zero?

yup, the potential is pretty flat as you move to smaller x...so the body will "hardly" slide...
in explicitly [itex]a\rightarrow0 \Rightarrow T \rightarrow \infty[/itex]

But then again, I remember some quote saying that any potential around a (local) minimum can be described to a good approximation by an Harmonic Oscillator potential with the minimum at that point... (Taylor expanding the potential around the local minimum)...What about its application to this case?

The other interpretation to starting at the minimum point is that T=0 because it take no time at all to return to it's start position.
So there is a singularity there :)

An arbitrary potential can be expanded in a Taylor series, and it is common to take low order's of that series as an approximation.
So have you taken the taylor expansion for your potential to see what the first few terms are?

Simon Bridge said:
So have you taken the taylor expansion for your potential to see what the first few terms are?
Oh I see... I tried to but I was carried away and didn't think that the 2nd order of the expansion that I [only] kept was also vanishing.
so it's not a rule for all types of potentials, rather than those who move slower than [itex]V''(x_0) \ne 0[/itex]...
so from power potentials [itex]V(x)= x^p[/itex] no [itex]p \ge 3[/itex] can be described by an harmonic oscillator...

V(x) = x^4

expanding as a taylor series about x=a:

##V(x) = 4a^3(x-a) + 6a^2(x-a)^2 + 4a(x-a)^3 + 1(x-a)^4 + 0 + 0 + \cdots##... put a=0.
##V(x) = 0 + 0 + 0 + x^4 + 0 + 0 + \cdots## ... surprise surprise.

This is telling you that the HO approximation to the quartic potential is V=0.
In this approximation: T=0 or infinity everywhere.
The approximation is valid for x "sufficiently close to" 0 ... how close is "sufficient" depends on the sensitivity of your instruments.
It's like how the approximation that the Earth is flat is really good inside a typical room but not if you are looking from orbit.

1. What is the period of an anharmonic oscillator?

The period of an anharmonic oscillator refers to the time it takes for the oscillator to complete one full cycle of motion. It is dependent on the strength of the anharmonic potential and the initial conditions of the system.

2. How does the period of an anharmonic oscillator differ from a harmonic oscillator?

The period of a harmonic oscillator is constant and independent of the amplitude, while the period of an anharmonic oscillator changes as the amplitude increases. This is due to the non-linear nature of the anharmonic potential.

3. What is the relationship between the period and frequency of an anharmonic oscillator?

The frequency of an anharmonic oscillator is inversely proportional to the period. As the frequency increases, the period decreases.

4. How does the potential energy affect the period of an anharmonic oscillator?

The period of an anharmonic oscillator is affected by the shape and strength of the potential energy curve. A steeper and stronger potential will result in a shorter period, while a shallower and weaker potential will result in a longer period.

5. Can the period of an anharmonic oscillator be calculated analytically?

In most cases, the period of an anharmonic oscillator cannot be calculated analytically and requires numerical techniques. However, for certain specific cases, such as the quartic oscillator, analytical solutions exist.