Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic Boundary Conditions proof

1. May 28, 2015 #1
    Hi! When we model bloch-waves in a solid we assume that there exist some kind of periodic boundary conditions such that the wave function is periodic. In 1D, ##\psi(x)## repeats itself for every ##L##, ##\psi(x) = \psi(x+L)##, such as here: ?temp_hash=0dc795db7139072038dac60b394bf8b6.png

OK, fine, we get pretty wave solutions if we assume the existence of the PBC. But what ##L##? As far as I know the only repeating unit in a crystal is the Wieger Seitz cell, which is sized on the atomic scale.

Is ##L## just the wavelength?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

No, L is the size of your crystal, so e.g. 1cm. In the end, this size doesn't matter to much and you often take ##L \to \infty##.

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    How can that be? if that is true, it means ##\psi## is a standing wave... But bloch waves are traveling!

5. May 28, 2015 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

That's why you use periodic boundary conditions, the waves then move on a circle and you can have left and right moving waves.

6. May 28, 2015 #5
    this makes no sense physically. if you have a crystal cube of 1cm, you are assuming that its left side is connected to its right?

7. May 28, 2015 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

No, it doesn't, but there is a theorem by Wigner that the influence of the boundary conditions on the states vanishes like 1/N, where N is the number of particles (or elementary cells). So if you are interested in the bulk states only, you can pick the boundary conditions as seem convenient.

8. May 28, 2015 #7
    Ah, OK, I see. So you can pick whatever PBC you like? What about if L = length of unit cell?

9. May 28, 2015 #8

DrDu

Science Advisor

No, I said that the boundary conditions become unimportant when L is much larger than the elementary cell.

10. May 28, 2015 #9
    Yes you did, my apologies. And thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook