Permanent magnet B field equation

In summary: I think I'll give Euler a try. It looks like it might speed up a bit, but I'm not sure what I would need to change to get the results I'm after. :)Thanks for the input! I think I'll give Euler a try.
lincsimp
hey
how would I go about calculating the B field of a bar magnet?

I've already managed to calculate the electric field between two charged particles etc and draw that, but I just can't see where to start with this one as its not just a point at north and south but a whole load of atoms working together.

If anyone could point me to some equations that would be good or just provide some ideas about where to start...

(btw this is not a homework q, just something I was wondering)

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums,

Start here: http://instruct.tri-c.edu/fgram/web/Mdipole.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you hootenanny; that appears to be what I was looking for! I'll be back if/when any problems arise... :)

Hootenanny said:
Welcome to the forums,

Start here: http://instruct.tri-c.edu/fgram/web/Mdipole.htm
Don't trust that website. It starts:
"A bar magnet is a magnetic dipole, and its field varies in the space around the magnet in the same way as the electric field varies around an electric dipole. So we can use the results of the E calculations to find the magnetic field B and forces between magnets."
But, that is only a reasonable approximation when two bar magents are far apart. For magnets at any distance, you can treat the end surface of each bar magnet as a uniformly charged disk. Then make reasonable approximations from that model, depending on the distance and orientation of the magnets.

Interesting question. I vaguely remember doing this in E&M. Do I remember incorrectly, or doesn't a bar magnet have the same field as a stack of Ampère dipoles (i.e. a solenoid)?

hmmm... so it looks as though this is something I'll have to derive for myself. I think I'm going to treat each end as a uniformly charged disk...

Google gave me:
http://www.richmond.edu/~ggilfoyl/genphys/132/102solutions/Ch26/EOC_Solution_26_15.pdf
https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-123091.html
http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Physics/8-022Fall-2004/9A6AC77A-6CA0-431A-BA90-9FBA4A5C7027/0/lecture2.pdf

I feel pretty close now, but I guess I'm going to need to refresh my differential equations and learn Gauss's law. If anyone's done a course on EMFs it be great if you could give some suggestions/etc., but otherwise it looks at though I'll have to figure it myself.

Thank you :)

John

hi again

I decided to give up with the complicated integral's (although they would hae been fun!) for now and decided to use a large array of point charges in layers alternating +ve,-ve,+ve... (red = +ve, blue = -ve)

An Euler iteration with Coulomb's Law got me that image (and I could have had them coming back in the top if I'd waited). Does it look right? How could I speed it up? What would I need to change to make them look more like "elephant ears"?

thanks

Attachments

• barmagnet.png
    barmagnet.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 587

What is the equation for the magnetic field produced by a permanent magnet?

The equation for the magnetic field produced by a permanent magnet is B = μ₀M/r³, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, M is the magnetization of the magnet, and r is the distance from the magnet.

How is the magnetic field strength affected by the distance from the magnet?

The magnetic field strength decreases with increasing distance from the magnet according to the inverse cube law, as shown in the equation B = μ₀M/r³. This means that the further away from the magnet, the weaker the magnetic field will be.

What is the relationship between magnetization and magnetic field strength in a permanent magnet?

The magnetization of a permanent magnet is directly proportional to the magnetic field strength it produces. This means that the stronger the magnetization, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

What is the role of permeability in the permanent magnet B field equation?

Permeability is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized. In the permanent magnet B field equation, permeability (μ₀) is a constant that represents the ability of free space to support the creation of magnetic fields. It is necessary for calculating the strength of the magnetic field produced by a permanent magnet.

How does the shape and size of a permanent magnet affect its magnetic field strength?

The shape and size of a permanent magnet can affect its magnetic field strength. Generally, longer and thinner magnets will have a stronger magnetic field than shorter and thicker magnets, due to the alignment of magnetic domains within the magnet. The shape of the magnet also plays a role in the distribution of the magnetic field, with more complex shapes producing more complex and varied magnetic fields.