1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perpendicular Planes

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I suppose my question has to do with planes in general, rather than just tangent planes. Say you have a plane given by the equation

[tex]z=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x)+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(y).[/tex]

How would you find the equation of the plane perpendicular to this one?

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

General approach:

Equation of plane ax+by+cz+d=0, where at least one of (a,b,c) is not =0.
    Assume it is a, then bx-ay+m=0 or cx-az+n=0, where m and n are arbitrary. The general idea is to set up a nonzero vector perpendicular to (a,b,c) and use it as coefficients for x,y,z. The constant term is arbitrary.

4. Jun 16, 2005 #3
    Where did the [tex]bx-ay+m=0[/tex] and [tex]cx-az+n=0[/tex] come from?

5. Jun 16, 2005 #4
    Well, I guess I can understand that. If you have one vector on a plane "r-r0 = (x-x0)i + (y-y0)j + (z-z0)k" and the gradient vector "ai + bj +ck" tangent to f(x,y), would you compute the cross product between these two vectors to find that perpendicular vector, then use that as coefficients?

(ex.) <(x-x0), (y-y0), (z-z0)> x <a, b, c> = <p, q, t>

ax+by+cz=d

So... the tangent plane is px+qy+cz=d.

Is this correct?

6. Jun 17, 2005 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tried to give an answer for planes in general. I am a little rusty on your special case (tangent planes).
    The plane equations in the previous post just simply reflect the fact that (b,-a,0) and (c,0,-a) are both non-zero and perpendicular to (a,b,c) as long as a is not 0.

7. Jun 17, 2005 #6
    Alright that makes sense then. By which method did you compute that (b, -a, 0) and (c, 0, -a) are perpendicular to (a, b, c)?

The reason I ask is that I have the equation [tex]z=\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}(x)+\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}(y)[/tex] and need to find the perpendicular plane (the problem actually has to do with projections).

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  8. Jun 18, 2005 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Inspection!

In your case a=dg/dx, b=dg/dy, c=-1. Since c not=0, you can use (1,0,dg/dx) or
    (0,1,dg/dy) or any linear combination of the two vectors.

9. Jun 18, 2005 #8
    Alright I understand now. Thanks a lot for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?