Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Perry framed; Political culture?

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    It never stops to amaze me to see how some politics is all about dishonest deception

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/the_framing_of_perry/

(Perry talks about a big black cloud of national debt, while it is framed that he is talking about Obama)

I wonder if such a tactic should not bounce on the perpetrator. How can you trust your own side, if it is blatantly distorting reality?

Disclaimer, I don't take any side in political discussions of other countries but I am genuinely amazed how you can live in such a deceptive political culture.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2011 #2
    Are you criticizing how MSNBC covered that speech, or how politicians deceive people?

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3
  5. Aug 18, 2011 #4
    i'm sure you've heard about our FOX News channel? MSNBC is the Democrat version of FOX. they don't even pretend to be otherwise now. the entire evening lineup is just one host after another bashing the right.

each side watches their own idiot box and wonders how the other guy can be so stupid.

6. Aug 18, 2011 #5
    Both sides do it. That particular clip came from breitbart. Breitbart video editing is notorious.

The important thing is that the actual news presentations of Perry's statements were correct on both the liberal and conservative NEWS programs.

I don't pay much attention to the endless babble of the talking heads and their individual shows. Both sides feed on the he said she said garbage.

7. Aug 18, 2011 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sen. Rockefeller was right when he said it would be a service to the country to lose both.

A lot of stuff is CNN is garbage well. I had hope when Sanchez was canned that they may go to a real news format for the noon hour, but it has quickly degenerated into fluff. I still like Wolf but not much else.

8. Aug 21, 2011 #7
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Aug 21, 2011 #8
    It's only wrong when MSNBC does it.

10. Aug 21, 2011 #9
    Considering msnbc is usually "wrong" (IMO) - could you be more specific?

11. Aug 21, 2011 #10

mheslep

Gold Member

So Special Ed on MSNBC is not a news program? Ok, I agree, but then what "liberal" news program do you have in mind?

12. Aug 21, 2011 #11

mheslep

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  13. Aug 21, 2011 #12
    There are adverts on the radio here trying to get people to move to Texas and take jobs there. I can't imagine that they would be spending money trying to increase the number of unemployed in their state.

14. Aug 21, 2011 #13

mheslep

Gold Member

Eh? Where is 'here', who is 'they'? Your state, or Texas?

15. Aug 21, 2011 #14
    straight news programs (simple reporting) versus "editorial" shows.

16. Aug 22, 2011 #15

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've been in internet forums a while now, right? Surely you noticed how often people throw reason and critical thought out the window whenever they are presented with a conclusion they find appealing.

17. Aug 22, 2011 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is false. That is not the claim; nor has Perry done anything remarkable.

Firstly, you are ignoring the fact that Texas has benefitted greatly from energy price increases. He can't claim credit for the price of crude and new natural gas technologies. He is simply a benefactor of this. He got lucky, nothing more.

Secondly, the objection is not that Texas hasn't seen a slightly better unemployment rate than the rest of the nation as a whole, though their record on growth isn't so hot, the real objection is this:

http://www.americanindependent.com/189048/wsj-lauds-texas-economy-marked-by-jobs-including-a-lot-of-low-paying-ones [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  18. Aug 22, 2011 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

19. Aug 22, 2011 #18
    Pardon. Texas is paying for radio commercials in my state (California) encouraging people to move to Texas for jobs.

20. Aug 22, 2011 #19

mheslep

Gold Member

Interesting. Looks like many people are taking Texas up on the offer, while other states like NY are losing labor force. The Texas labor force has exploded in the last several years. If Texas had some how stopped the influx from other states and frozen the labor force at the beginning of the recession the unemployment rate would be ~2% in Texas now given the jobs created in the same time period. I think several of Perry's policies deserve some credit especially passage of tort reform (referenced in the WSJ article), but more important is that he simply did not do anything negative like raising taxes as did Illinois.

Here's some data backing the notion of people moving to Texas for jobs. I reference this not as some endorsement of Perry, but to show the "Texas Jobs Myth" meme is misleading nonsense in the same vein as the OP's reference on the 'black cloud' distortion.

Labor force http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/dsrv?la" since beginning of recession (Dec 2007):

New York. Loss. Typical of many states like Michigan, California.
    51ajcj.gif

California. Which, BTW, http://www.statemaster.com/graph/ene_pet_pro-energy-oil-production":
    34gkjuq.gif

Virginia, my state, at ~3% positive growth is, I believe, 2nd highest in the country behind Texas with twice the growth.
    qmygqp.gif

Texas, ~6% growth.
    34fk4zn.gif

All four normalized to one in Dec 2007:
    okraco.gif

So in keeping with the OP, despite this factual record there are numerous Texashttp://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/...-Perry-s-job-creation-myth-and-his-Hypocrisy", undeterred by the data, and even claims that the Texas migration is because of the weather.

21. Aug 22, 2011 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure it's Texas encouraging Californians to move to Texas? This sounds like a cruel joke being played by people that hate Texas (like maybe by Coloradans). :rofl:

At least Texas is bigger than Colorado. The I-25 corridor becomes more "Californian" every year - worse yet, Texas ranks right behind California as the source of most immigrants to Colorado. (http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15330995)

(Not that I have a right to complain, seeing as how I'm a Colorado immigrant myself, from Kansas via Ohio via Nebraska.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook