Personal epiphany about Taylor theorem, true?

Reverberant
Hello,

I'm taking my first calculus course right now, and something struck me regarding the remainder in integral form of a Taylor series expansion:

Let's say we have a Taylor expansion of the (n-1):th order, which has a remainder of the form

238fexl.png

Now, my claim is that if we integrate by parts n-1 times (I think), then every term of the integrated remainder, except for the last one, will cancel out a term of the Taylor polynomial; leaving only f(x). Thus, all we have left is the equation f(x)=f(x).

Is this true, and if so, can you confirm that the form of integration by parts to be used is
2u5zryc.png

and not
35q3npa.png

?

Thanks in advance!

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello,

I'm taking my first calculus course right now, and something struck me regarding the remainder in integral form of a Taylor series expansion:

Let's say we have a Taylor expansion of the (n-1):th order, which has a remainder of the form

238fexl.png

Now, my claim is that if we integrate by parts n-1 times (I think), then every term of the integrated remainder, except for the last one, will cancel out a term of the Taylor polynomial; leaving only f(x). Thus, all we have left is the equation f(x)=f(x).

Is this true, and ...

Thanks in advance!
Just do it.

[tex]\displaystyle \text{We use the notation, } f^{(n)}(t)={{d^n}\over{dt^n}}f(t)\,.[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle \text{Let } u= (x-t)^{n-1}\ \to \ {{d}\over{dt}}u=-(n-1)(x-t)^{n-2}\,.\ \ \text{Let } dv=f^{(n)}(t)}\, dt\ \to \ v=f^{(n-1)}(t)(n-1)(x-t)^{n-2}\,.[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle {{1}\over{n!}}\int_a^x{n(x-t)^{n-1}\,f^{(n)}(t)}\, dt[/tex] [tex]\displaystyle = {{1}\over{(n-1)!}}\left(\left[ (x-t)^{n-1}f^{(n-1)}(t)\right]_a^x - \int_a^x{-(n-1)(x-t)^{n-2}\,f^{(n-1)}(t)}\, dt \right)[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle = {{0\cdot f^{(n-1)}(x)-(x-a)^{n-1}f^{(n-1)}(a)}\over{(n-1)!}}\,+\,{{1}\over{(n-1)!}}\left( \int_a^x{(n-1)(x-t)^{n-2}\,f^{(n-1)}(t)}\, dt \right)[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle = \,-\,{{(x-a)^{n-1}f^{(n-1)}(a)}\over{(n-1)!}}\,+\,{{1}\over{(n-1)!}}\left( \int_a^x{(n-1)(x-t)^{n-2}\,f^{(n-1)}(t)}\, dt \right)[/tex]
This will subtract the (n-1)th order term of the Taylor expansion of f(x) and leave a Taylor expansion of the (n-2)th order plus the integral which is the remainder.

So, yes your claim is correct!

Last edited:
Reverberant
Sweet, thanks!

Suggested for: Personal epiphany about Taylor theorem, true?

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies