Perturbation of a uniform electrostatic field by a dielectric cube

In summary: However, the variables will not separate nicely in Cartesian space. In summary, the electrostatic potential problem can not be solved using the Cartesian form of Laplace. The solution is attained using Green's theorem. However, the variables will not separate nicely in Cartesian space.
Apteronotus
Hi,

Is there any way to analytically calculate the perturbation of a uniform electrostatic field by a dielectric cube.
I know a solution exists for dielectric spheres but I haven't been able to come across the solution, when dealing with a cube.

Ohh.. and I'm assuming the simplest case, where the field is parallel to the normal of one of the cube's sides.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's going to be a mess, because you won't have Legendre polynomials in your solution. It's equivalent to solving the electric field from a cube-shaped dipole, and I would attack that by starting with the electric field from a small dipole of length a, and making a cube of length L out of many aligned dipoles, and taking the limit as a/L -> 0.

Instead of spherical harmonics, I'd use the eigenfunctions of the Laplace operator from the separation ansatz in Cartesian coordinates with the appropriate boundary conditions for the dielectric.

But the variables aren't going to separate nicely in Cartesian space.

Check Smythe's "Static and Dynamic Electricity". I've found the answer to many complex situations there.

Of course, the Laplacian separates in Cartesian coordinates. For the Laplace Equation,

[tex]\Delta \Phi=0.[/tex]

you make the ansatz [itex]\Phi(\vec{x})=X(x) Y(y) Z(z)[/itex]. Then in the usual way, you can show that

[tex]\frac{X''(x)}{X(x)}=-k_1^2, \quad \frac{Y''(y)}{Y(y)}=-k_2^2, \quad \frac{Z''(z)}{Z(z)}=k_1^2+k_2^2[/tex]

Then you get the set of solutions

[tex]\Phi_{k_1,k_2,\pm}(\vec{x})=\exp \left (\mathrm{i} k_1 x+\mathrm{i} k_2 y \pm \sqrt{k_1^2+k_2^2} z \right )[/tex].

A general harmonic function can be built out of these also in the usual way. Of course, for the present problem, you have to find the restriction due to the boundary conditions imposed by the presence of the dielectric cube first and then you can linearly superpose the remaining set of functions to find the solution for your situation.

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:
Of course, for the present problem, you have to find the restriction due to the boundary conditions imposed by the presence of the dielectric cube

But that's the point - that's the part that doesn't end up looking so nice. The boundary conditions are ugly, because they are all finite. With spherical or cylindrical symmetry things are much cleaner.

Following the description above and solving [itex]\frac{X''}{X}=-k_1^2[/itex], I find
[itex]X(x)=A_1e^{k_1 ix}+A_2e^{-k_1 ix}[/itex]
similarly
[itex]Y(y)=B_1e^{k_2 iy}+B_2e^{-k_2 iy}[/itex] and
[itex]Z(z)=C_1e^{k_3 z}+C_2e^{-k_3 z}[/itex], as general solutions.

So,

[itex]\Phi(\vec{x})=
\left[(A_1+A_2)\cos k_1x+i(A_1-A_2)\sin k_1x\right]\cdot
\left[(B_1+B_2)\cos k_2x+i(B_1-B_2)\sin k_2x\right]\cdot
\left[C_1e^{k_3 z}+C_2e^{-k_3 z}\right][/itex]
rather than what is stated above by vanhees71.

Also for the first boundary condition I have found

[itex]\Phi(\vec{x})\rightarrow -E_0z[/itex] as any of [itex]x,y \mbox{ or } z \rightarrow \pm \infty[/itex]
which simply states that as we move far enough away from the cube, the potential approaches that which would exist without the cube present.

But I'm not sure how this BC would simplify the electric potential equation.

Gordianus, thank you for the reference. I just went through Smyth and unfortunately there was nothing on the subject.

Can you think of any other references which may be useful?

For any unfortunate sole that may come across this post hoping for a hint as to how to approach this problem, I would ignore the above posts.

The problem can not be solved using the Cartesian form of Laplace. The solution is attained using Green's theorem.

What is the concept of perturbation in a uniform electrostatic field?

The concept of perturbation refers to the small changes or disturbances that occur in a uniform electrostatic field when a dielectric cube is introduced. These changes can affect the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the potential energy and electric flux within and around the cube.

How does a dielectric cube affect a uniform electrostatic field?

When a dielectric cube is placed in a uniform electrostatic field, it causes a perturbation in the field. This is because the dielectric material has a different permittivity than the surrounding medium, which affects the distribution of charges and alters the electric field lines.

What factors influence the magnitude of perturbation in a uniform electrostatic field?

The magnitude of perturbation in a uniform electrostatic field is influenced by several factors, including the permittivity of the dielectric cube, the distance between the cube and the source of the electric field, and the orientation of the cube with respect to the field lines.

Can the perturbation in a uniform electrostatic field be calculated mathematically?

Yes, the perturbation in a uniform electrostatic field can be calculated mathematically using equations such as Gauss's Law and the boundary conditions of the electric field. These calculations can provide insights into the changes in the electric field strength and direction caused by the dielectric cube.

What are the practical applications of studying the perturbation of a uniform electrostatic field by a dielectric cube?

Studying the perturbation of a uniform electrostatic field by a dielectric cube has practical applications in various fields such as electronics, material science, and medical imaging. This knowledge can help in designing and optimizing electronic devices, understanding the behavior of dielectric materials, and interpreting medical images obtained from methods like MRI.