Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbation Theory (Non-Degenerate)

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1
    If I have V(x)=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]\omega^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] (1+ [itex]\frac{x^{2}}{L^{2}}[/itex])

How do I start to solve for the hamiltonian Ho, the ground state wave function ?? Calculate for the energy of the quantum ground state using first order perturbation theory?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2012 #2
    [itex]H= H_{0} + H_{p} [/itex]

So basically, you have an aditional term, [itex]H_{p} = \frac{1}{2L^{2}}mω^2 x^4 [/itex], that perturbates your hamiltonian.
    You already know the solution for the harmonic oscillator, [itex]H= H_{0} = \hbarω(n + \frac{1}{2}) [/itex], so you just have to find the corrections for the [itex] H_{p} [/itex].

hope i made myself clear ( ;

4. Nov 26, 2012 #3
    so does this mean my hamiltonian would be [itex]H= \hbarω(n + \frac{1}{2}) + \frac{1}{2L^{2}}mω^2 x^4 [/itex] ?

5. Nov 26, 2012 #4
    Don't you know the ground state wave function of unperturbed oscillator.you can see them elsewhere and then just evaluate(with normalized eigenfunctions)
    <E>=∫ψ0*(Hp0

6. Nov 26, 2012 #5
    I actually dont know the wave function.. That's also my prob... if i only know the wave function I'll be able to solve this.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  7. Nov 26, 2012 #6
  8. Nov 26, 2012 #7
    Is this the same for an anharmonic oscillator? That is the problem about.

9. Nov 26, 2012 #8
    No,you use unpertubed harmonic oscillator wave function for calculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook