Perturbation Theory (Non-Degenerate)

In summary, to solve for the Hamiltonian Ho and the ground state wave function, you need to calculate the energy of the quantum ground state using first order perturbation theory. This involves adding an additional term, H_{p}, to the Hamiltonian and finding the corrections for it. The solution for the harmonic oscillator, H= H_{0} = \hbarω(n + \frac{1}{2}), is already known. You can find the ground state wave function of the unperturbed oscillator elsewhere and use it to evaluate the energy. However, for an anharmonic oscillator, the unperturbed harmonic oscillator wave function is used for the calculation.
jhosamelly
If I have V(x)=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]\omega^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] (1+ [itex]\frac{x^{2}}{L^{2}}[/itex])

How do I start to solve for the hamiltonian Ho, the ground state wave function ?? Calculate for the energy of the quantum ground state using first order perturbation theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]H= H_{0} + H_{p} [/itex]

So basically, you have an aditional term, [itex]H_{p} = \frac{1}{2L^{2}}mω^2 x^4 [/itex], that perturbates your hamiltonian.
You already know the solution for the harmonic oscillator, [itex]H= H_{0} = \hbarω(n + \frac{1}{2}) [/itex], so you just have to find the corrections for the [itex] H_{p} [/itex].

hope i made myself clear ( ;

so does this mean my hamiltonian would be [itex]H= \hbarω(n + \frac{1}{2}) + \frac{1}{2L^{2}}mω^2 x^4 [/itex] ?

Don't you know the ground state wave function of unperturbed oscillator.you can see them elsewhere and then just evaluate(with normalized eigenfunctions)
<E>=∫ψ0*(Hp0

I actually don't know the wave function.. That's also my prob... if i only know the wave function I'll be able to solve this.

Last edited:
Is this the same for an anharmonic oscillator? That is the problem about.

No,you use unpertubed harmonic oscillator wave function for calculation.

1. What is perturbation theory in non-degenerate systems?

Perturbation theory in non-degenerate systems is a method used in physics and mathematics to approximate the solutions of a system that is slightly different from a simpler, known system. It is commonly used when the perturbation or change in the system is small, allowing for the use of linear approximations.

2. How does perturbation theory work?

Perturbation theory works by breaking down the problem into simpler, known systems and then using the perturbation to make adjustments to the solutions of these simpler systems. These adjustments can then be combined to approximate the solution of the original system.

3. What are the limitations of perturbation theory in non-degenerate systems?

One limitation of perturbation theory in non-degenerate systems is that it only works for small perturbations. If the perturbation is too large, the linear approximations used in perturbation theory may no longer be valid. Additionally, perturbation theory may not work well for systems with highly non-linear behavior.

4. What is the difference between degenerate and non-degenerate perturbation theory?

Degenerate perturbation theory is used when the perturbation causes the initial system to become degenerate, meaning that some of the energy levels of the system become equal. Non-degenerate perturbation theory, on the other hand, is used when the perturbation does not cause degeneracy in the system. Non-degenerate perturbation theory is generally simpler and easier to apply than degenerate perturbation theory.

5. What are some applications of perturbation theory in non-degenerate systems?

Perturbation theory in non-degenerate systems has many applications in physics, chemistry, and mathematics. It is commonly used to approximate the behavior of quantum mechanical systems, such as the hydrogen atom, and to analyze the behavior of physical systems, such as oscillators and pendulums. It is also used in the study of celestial mechanics and the stability of planetary orbits.