Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Chat is Back!

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1
    Great news! PF Chat will return this coming Sunday Oct 5th! We'll kick things off with a all access chat for a full week. After that it will be for Gold members only, but we'll have our usual all access Sunday Chat Events.

Below is a preview showcasing some features. There is an option for pop out which can go full width.

To access the chat on sunday there will be a link in the header navigation between Forums and Members. There will also be a widget on the right homepage sidebar.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2014 #2
    Anyone excited for chat to be back?

4. Sep 30, 2014 #3
    I am!

5. Sep 30, 2014 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

YAY FOR CHAT!

6. Oct 1, 2014 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Oh man you bet that we're excited...!!! :D

7. Oct 1, 2014 #6
    yay i was looking for it now its coming back!!!

8. Oct 1, 2014 #7

DataGG

Gold Member

This thread's title is a lie. The chat is not back yet, it'll be back soon =((

9. Oct 1, 2014 #8

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10. Oct 1, 2014 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course. :L:k:L

11. Oct 1, 2014 #10

TumblingDice

Gold Member

I'm excited for a chance to learn chat!

(I didn't take the opportunity before. Reading posts just before the migration about rescuing a Jetsons theme and sounds, I missed out on something way cool.)

12. Oct 5, 2014 #11

DataGG

Gold Member

Where is the chat?

13. Oct 5, 2014 #12
    Chat is back in 15min. There will be a link in the header menu.

14. Oct 5, 2014 #13
    Chat is open
    https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/ [Broken]

There is also a link in the header nav where you can select a pop up version.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  15. Oct 9, 2014 #14
    I'm new here so this chat feature is new to me, but none the less I am excited!

P.S. to anyone questioning the veracity of the title of this thread: you have to be pretty narrow minded to call it a lie. In fact, the philosophy behind Heisenberg's uncertainty principle allowed for complete truthfulness; and error in uncertainty allows it!

16. Oct 18, 2014 #15

DataGG

Gold Member

The chat seems to be always empty nowadays ://.. I think people don't like the current chat, hence none joins.

@Greg Bernhardt, is it not possible to have an IRC channel instead? Mentors would be admins of said channel (@) and gold members could have voice (+). That way, it could be open to the entire community and gold members would have a reason to buy gold.

If you don't want the chat to steal content from the forums, then you could ban lengthy Physics/Math/W/E related questions/discussions there.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  17. Oct 18, 2014 #16
    I'm always a fan of an IRC channel.

18. Nov 1, 2014 #17
    This will be the last week all members will be able to use the chat 24/7. Starting next week it will be reserved for gold members. Then our usual Sunday chat events for everyone will be active.

19. Nov 1, 2014 #18

RonL

Gold Member

I would be more excited if I could type fast enough to keep up with the flow of conversations:(

20. Nov 5, 2014 #19
    Chat is now disabled for normal users. Chat will be open to all on PF Chat Sundays like before. When the chat opens you will see a notice at the top of the site telling you so. If you want 24/7 chat access please upgrade your account here https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades

21. Nov 5, 2014 #20

Rocket50

Gold Member

I'm a Gold member and can't access chat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook