PF is sponsoring the 2014 WI Science Festival

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Physics Forums is proud to announce their sponsorship of the Wisconsin Science Festival which runs from October 16 - 19, 2014. The festival's mission is to inspire and engage people in the world of science and discovery and is presented by Madison's science and arts community. The festival has satellite events all over the state and offers a variety of presentations and workshops, including "The Art and Science of Origami" and a hands-on origami workshop. The festival also has a presence on Facebook and Twitter. During the festival, there will be daily updates and photos on PF's Twitter page. PF will also have a booth at the Town Center in the Discovery Building and will be giving out PF goodies and showcasing PF 4.
Glad you made it back home safely too Greg.

One quick pic of our Leader.

Our Leader.JPG

Likes davenn, Astronuc, jtbell and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
One quick pic of who's responsible for making the above pic possible. Thanks Greg's Mom.

Our Leaders Mom.JPG

Likes Enigman, OmCheeto and Borek
Greg Bernhardt said:
So, funny story. I bought 1500 pencils with PF's URL on them. Got them today and I ended up ordering golf pencils. So they are all 1/2 size. Lol no wonder they were so cheap. :D
You could "rebrand" them as "graphing pencils"!

lisab said:
You could "rebrand" them as "graphing pencils"!
Actually the pencils were a huge hit. People loved them :D

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
So, funny story. I bought 1500 pencils

Greg Bernhardt said:
We handed out over 1500 PF pencils.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Actually the pencils were a huge hit. People loved them :D

I think you should be given an infraction for posting an over-unity pencil post.

:D

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Perhaps once he got short on pencils he started to cut them in half, making them even shorter?

Alternatively, he bought 1500 pencils, handed them out, and then someone stole Greg's own pencil, which makes the grand total of pencil gained by the public 1501.

Borek said:
Perhaps once he got short on pencils he started to cut them in half, making them even shorter?

Alternatively, he bought 1500 pencils, handed them out, and then someone stole Greg's own pencil, which makes the grand total of pencil gained by the public 1501.
I was just hoping for some leftover autographed pencils that I could bid on.
I once paid $250 for a George Takei autograph (it was for charity).

I saw earlier that Greg signed an autograph on a clipboard.
One of those two girls is a real nerd.

imageuploadedbyphysics-forums1413570929-460129-jpg.74537.jpg

OmCheeto said:
I saw earlier that Greg signed an autograph on a clipboard.
One of those two girls is a real nerd.
We were taking a popularity poll between Einstein and Hawking :)

Likes OmCheeto
How did Hawking do on day 3? It was fairly close on day 1 and 2 but Einstein was slightly ahead. Amazing how many little kids knew or heard of them. And a few could tell your what both had worked on.

dlgoff said:
How did Hawking do on day 3? It was fairly close on day 1 and 2 but Einstein was slightly ahead. Amazing how many little kids knew or heard of them. And a few could tell your what both had worked on.
About the same as day 1 and 2. Very consistent :)

Likes dlgoff
Greg Bernhardt said:
We were taking a popularity poll between Einstein and Hawking

Results, or it didn't happen ;)

I remember the vote count near the lunch hour of the first day; Einstein (43) 56%, Hawking (34) 44%. But it got closer later on.

dlgoff said:
One quick pic of who's responsible for making the above pic possible. Thanks Greg's Mom.

View attachment 74654

A HOT mom that's done a cool job raising a fine son, the picture says it all.:cool: smiles don't lie:)

Likes dlgoff
Greg Bernhardt said:
Physics Forums is proud to announce that this year we are a sponsor for the Wisconsin Science Festival! The fest runs from October 16 – 19, 2014.
I'm proud to have been with you, Greg, at this Communicating Science: Talk and panel discussion. Even though you considered me a witch.

Supporting PF as this years Community Spirit Award winner.

Likes OmCheeto
Yep. Front row. That's how we roll. :approve:

dlgoff said:
Yep. Front row. That's how we roll. :approve:
I want to hear your explanation of how smart phones work.
I noticed that Greg raised his hand. :-p

OmCheeto said:
I want to hear your explanation of how smart phones work.
I noticed that Greg raised his hand. :-p
You'd have to ask Greg, but I think is was because I tried explaining that it was like a toy; nothing to be afraid of. Hence, I'm a witch.

dlgoff said:
You'd have to ask Greg, but I think is was because I tried explaining that it was like a toy; nothing to be afraid of. Hence, I'm a witch.
Whilst watching, I was there with you, trying to explain it.
Though, it took me another several hours before I came up with a non-witch explanation.

And even then...

OmCheeto said:
And even then...
Welcome to the Witch Club. :bow:

Likes OmCheeto
It's kind of like the time traveler thread we have around here. Might be fun to do here too.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's kind of like the time traveler thread we have around here. Might be fun to do here too.
In two minutes or less?
Even after thinking the whole thing through, in 300 year old language/technology, it would take me hours to describe how the blacksmith and his seamstress wife had a child that was able to make unbelievably small thread from metal, creating a thing, that was basically a tiny, stupid, but very fast, incarnation, of a human.

The signaling(aka EM) part was easy:

Om; "Hold your hand up"
Greg; Holds his hand up
Om; Pulls out his lighter, and flicks his bic.
Greg; m.k.
Om; put his hand between the flame, and Greg's hand.
Greg; m.k.
Om; Does it really fast: hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold. Get it? Its binary!
Greg; m.k.

Ok. This may take me weeks...

Just googled "binary".
Wiki says Leibniz did it first.

After reading Newton's Principia the other day, and learning this, I think it's time for another nap.

OmCheeto said:
The shoulders we take for granted

davenn said:
has PF been back to the 2015 or others ?
It was a lot of fun and @dlgoff was awesome helping. We haven't been back because the demographic turned out to be a bit young :)

Likes dlgoff and davenn
Greg Bernhardt said:
It was a lot of fun and @dlgoff was awesome helping. We haven't been back because the demographic turned out to be a bit young :)

unfortunate, maybe something you can still keep tabs on for changes in the future :)D

Likes dlgoff and Greg Bernhardt
Back