PF PHOTO CONTEST - Churches & the like (jan 10th-17th)

In summary, the churches and the like that people post in this contest are from all over the world. The contest rules state that one photo per member per contest is allowed, and that pictures should be of places of worship. You are not allowed to resize or crop your pictures, and you are allowed to add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photos. The final voting will be done in multiple threads, and the winner will be the picture that is liked the most by the PF members.
Thanks Lacy33!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
I sware I took it. Are you calling me a liar?

In this kind of situation... yes :tongue2:

larkspur said:
Primitive Baptist Church
3185798583_07f25df0e1_o.jpg

Interesting, hue of the light is in a way similar to the Turbo's Bald Mountain picture.

Drizzle: I will accept your entry so long as you edit your post to get rid of the first picture.

Cyrus and Brewnog, will you please turn your photoshopperies into links.
ta.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8454/mosque1ee2.png
Sheikh Zayed Al Nahyan Mosque, Abu dhabi

:smile:[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
You only need to post it once. Please remove the images from your first post.

Larkspur LOVELY shot!

matthyaouw said:
Cyrus and Brewnog, will you please turn your photoshopperies into links.
ta.

Would if I could, edit option is gone. Perhaps a friendly mod can help.
Anyway, it's not photoshop, it's paint! The real tool of professionals.

drizzle said:
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8454/mosque1ee2.png
Sheikh Zayed Al Nahyan Mosque, Abu dhabi

What kind of camera and settings did you use for that shot?

Borek said:
Interesting, hue of the light is in a way similar to the Turbo's Bald Mountain picture.
It was taken just after sunrise. In fact it was taken not too long after I took the shot I entered in the Dawn to Dusk week.

brewnog said:
Larkspur LOVELY shot!
Thanks Brewnog.

Sure, I would love some clear blue sky behind the minarets.
But this was not to be. Winter 1984 Istanbul.

BlueMoske.jpg

Last edited:
Larkspur, can you post a better quality of it?

JasonRox said:
Larkspur, can you post a better quality of it?

Why? It looks great to me.

Yay, I just realized I actually HAVE a photo for this one.

PA281589.jpg

(Crosses fingers that Photobucket's resizer actually worked)
This is a small church near the community of Navajo Dam on the San Juan River, below Navajo Reservoir. This section of the river is world renowned (or so they say) for its fly fishing.

binzing said:
PA281589.jpg

This is a small church near the community of Navajo Dam on the San Juan River, below Navajo Reservoir. This section of the river is world renowned (or so they say) for its fly fishing.

This picture is beautiful because the church looks like it is being snuggled by the earth.

Thanks. It's actually on the middle of a little sort of plain in the river valley. Theres a small cemetary behind it, and just a bit to the left is an oil well, that I was luckily able to miss with this angle (was driving in a car). My neighbor and I had just come back from a trip to the lake to go salmon snagging. We live about 10 miles from here.

marcin_church.jpg

Nice shot Borek. Whats the story?

Edit: Way to be punctual, right at 5 AM my time.

No special story - just a nice place (at 50°18'18.32"N 16°27'8.85"E) that we visited two years ago on our way back from Prague. Highly recommended if you look for something nice, quiet and picturesque in not too high monutains.

It's a nice place. Pretty church. The scenery reminds me of Oregon.

Borek said:
marcin_church.jpg

Was that a cool day you took this picture? I feel like I could just breath in the freshness. Makes me think of the 19th hole for holy golfers.
Who keeps up that lawn? Goodness!
And makes a nice screen saver too, thank you. :)

wolram said:
A tatty pic.

If you want to enter a pic, could you upload it to an external site like www.photobucket.com and then post it here? Thanks.

Lacy33 said:
Was that a cool day you took this picture? I feel like I could just breath in the freshness.

It was relatively warm and nice day, something in the 20-25 deg C range. But it is 700 meteres above sea level and you can feel it.

PICT0023.jpg

Thank you Hypatia.

Taken in a space bounded by trees with a cheap digital camera.

Its a wonderful photo Wolram!

Is it somewhere close to your place? I remember you posted pictures of some other church in your area last year.

Hello, it has been a while since my last entry, I would like to say -due to recent events- that I wish peace to the Palestinian people and all people around the world to live in peace.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/984/15977747ow3.png
Alanany Mosque- Jeddah.

Wolram, WOW that is a great picture. I can just imagine the stories that could be told using that old church as a backdrop.

Last edited:
Borek said:
Is it somewhere close to your place? I remember you posted pictures of some other church in your area last year.

It is within walking distance, and is believed to have links with the Knights templar, unfortunatly it is kept locked, inside there are 12th/13th cenury wall paintings.

jowjowman said:
Sure, I would love some clear blue sky behind the minarets.
But this was not to be. Winter 1984 Istanbul.

BlueMoske.jpg

binzing said:
PA281589.jpg

Borek said:
marcin_church.jpg

wolram said:
PICT0023.jpg

Thank you Hypatia.

angel 42 said:
Hello, it has been a while since my last entry, I would like to say -due to recent events- that I wish peace to the Palestinian people and all people around the world to live in peace.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/984/15977747ow3.png
Alanany Mosque- Jeddah.

edward said:
This is the San Xavier del bac Mission near Tucson. It was built by Franciscans between 1783 and 1797. There were only two of them so they must have had a lot of help from the local native Americans. No one knows why the second tower was never finished.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5040/1001164jpgmissioniiibg1.jpg

Wow! You all are so lucky to have photographed such beautiful architecture! :!)

Thanks lark.