PF PHOTO CONTEST - Singing In The Rain (9/6-9/12)

In summary, the contest requires that you take a picture of a rainy scene, and you may resize the photo if you wish. You are allowed to crop the picture, and you may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes. You may post only one picture per member per contest. The contest ends at the end of the week, and at the end of the contest period, I will open a poll to choose the best picture.
My sunflowers stand tall and proud when it's sunny, and they are sad and droopy when it rains. Today they were as depressed as all get-out in heavy rains with gusty winds. I had to use a slow shutter speed and brace against the wall of my cabin to get streaky drops and relatively sharp flowers. This one was at 1/50th second, I think. Had to use the flash to light up the water - couldn't see it in the images otherwise.

rainsunflowers.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Dang it! It POURED this morning with thunder and lightning, but I had to head to work before it was daylight. Now that I'm home and it's daylight, no rain. :frown: Oh well, between larkspur's and turbo's pictures, I wouldn't stand a chance anyway.

Turbo's flowers turned out really well.

Ok, I found one!

This one is from the Linkin' Park concert I went to this summer. It rained the entire time from the 3-4 hours I was there before the show until the end.

Singing in the rain. :approve:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4922/img0597fr2.jpg

Note: It is obviously raining.

Last edited by a moderator:
And someone is obviously singing:cool:

You have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest. If you haven't done so, may it rain in your part of the world soon!

Zz.

JasonRox said:
Ok, I found one!

This one is from the Linkin' Park concert I went to this summer. It rained the entire time from the 3-4 hours I was there before the show until the end.

Singing in the rain. :approve:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4922/img0597fr2.jpg

Note: It is obviously raining.

Cool! Now I know there's no point in me worrying about it not raining during any convenient picture taking times...there are at least three good entries I wouldn't stand a chance competing against now.

Last edited by a moderator:
rainb-1.jpg

I managed to snap this before the rain stopped. It's not much, but it's unmistakably rain and it's all I've got.

I just had a great opportunity to photograph a rather pathetic looking group of people standing around the outside of a building in the pouring rain holding umbrellas and smoking. Apparently they cannot smoke under the covered outdoor areas.

I was afraid that if I took a picture I would have gotten lynched.

You wouldn't have gotten lynched. Smokers have a great sense of humor and are generally very understanding (as long as they get to smoke), the exact opposite of non-smokers I suppose.

Rain_May_29_2005_3.jpg

One minute it was bright and blue and the next...woosh!

2809927645_44bc2d7c75.jpg

This photo was taken in Juneau, Alaska where it rained non-stop during the 4 days I visited.

Oh I just remember something now!

One time it rained during work in Quebec City and the street was like a river! I hope I can find the pictures or the video of that. That would be neat.

tribdog said:
You wouldn't have gotten lynched. Smokers have a great sense of humor and are generally very understanding (as long as they get to smoke), the exact opposite of non-smokers I suppose.
I'm sure most of them weren't supposed to be outside smoking at the time.

matthyaouw said:
rainb-1.jpg

I managed to snap this before the rain stopped. It's not much, but it's unmistakably rain and it's all I've got.

I'm in awe.

matthyaouw said:
rainb-1.jpg

How, did you manage to get the splash AND the last rain drop in the sky. I'm not saying you cheated and are using a squirt gun. I'm asking HOW did you manage to get the splash AND the last rain drop in the sky. Was that just the luckiest shot in the world? Is the light sunlight?

tribdog said:
How, did you manage to get the splash AND the last rain drop in the sky. I'm not saying you cheated and are using a squirt gun. I'm asking HOW did you manage to get the splash AND the last rain drop in the sky. Was that just the luckiest shot in the world? Is the light sunlight?

That was one of about 200 shots I took. A few showed rain drops, but that was the only one that showed a splash clearly. So it was a cross between luck and persistance.
The light is sunlight.

I took more than one picture as well... These spleeny drops are what I see whenever it is raining. They mean "no bike today".