Announcement PF5 is coming!

Just completing a final backup, PF will close in the next hour.

Wrichik Basu

Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Goodbye PF4. Spent some happy days with you. :cry:

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
logging in works (obvious according to this ability to make the post).

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
Drop-downs dont drop down anymore. How do i check "Watched Threads" ?

win7, Chrome

phinds

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Drop-downs dont drop down anymore. How do i check "Watched Threads" ?

win7, Chrome

HMMM ... tried it w/ Chrome and only got one drop down and had to click to get that:

OOPS ... was not logged in. When logged in w/ Chrome, I get the full drop-down but ONLY if I click on the header ("FORUMS")

OOPS & OOPS ... did not actually get "drop-down" via hover in FireFox. Got the same clickable dropdown as in Chrome

I like the look. Thanks for all your hard work!

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
OOPS ... was not logged in. When logged in w/ Chrome, I get the full drop-down but ONLY if I click on the header ("FORUMS")
Thanks - Found it ! I have to click the little arrow adjacent , not the word...

That's a LOT BETTER than those pesky dropdown-on-hover(or more often just pass by)

Thanks Greg !!!

BillTre

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
I found out that the upload button function (which I used a lot) is now the Insert image (picture icon), the tool bar.
Or maybe its "Attach files" button, below the type text area.

I have to click the little arrow adjacent , not the word...
As we have the same link target at the big "PhysicsForums" to the left it might make sense to make the whole word leading to the dropdown.

As we have the same link target at the big "PhysicsForums" to the left it might make sense to make the whole word leading to the dropdown.
You can't do that with mouse click, only hover. That is the trade off.

George Keeling

Gold Member
'like' button broken again
What gives you this motivation, time and energy to work on a site for 4 months straight? I couldn't think of doing something so selfless for so long...thanks though it's great to have PF
Like button broken and I can't quote these. Duh! Not logged in. Did the new version log me out?
Thanks very much Greg for all the hard work! :kiss: PF

A new feature I just added that I want to highlight is "Hot Threads" which is found under the forums top nav drop down. It lists threads from the past 14 days that either have 30+ replies, are challenges or Insights, >3 reaction score of the first post or the thread starter having >1000 reaction score. This is a nice way to get a quick look at some of the more interesting threads around the forum.

You can't do that with mouse click, only hover. That is the trade off.
Trade off between what?

Currently hovering does nothing. I have (among others) three areas to click: The big "PhysicsForums" on the left, the smaller "Forums", and the even smaller arrow area. This small area leads to a dropdown with some of the most used features in the forums. The "Forums" area has the same target as the big "PhysicsForums" - wasted space. It could lead to the dropdown, the same as the arrow does.
This is not a new functionality, "Info" already works like this: The whole "Info" area leads to the dropdown, not just the area.
It lists threads from the past 14 days that either have 30+ replies, are challenges or Insights, >3 reaction score of the first post or the thread starter having >1000 reaction score.
Many views might also be an interesting value.

Because the root element is not a link.
That's my suggested change for the "forums" area. Make the root element not a link, but make it open the dropdown.

Edit: Time travel? The forum thinks these posts are in the future.