What is the eigenvalue problem for the given matrix and how can it be solved?

In summary: I had totally forgotten about that.In summary, the conversation is about finding the eigenvalues of a matrix and using the characteristic equation to solve for them. The solution can be found on grephysics.net and involves using the fact that 1=e^{2\pi n i} and taking the cube root to find three distinct solutions, \lambda_{n}=e^{\frac{2\pi i n}{3}} (n=1,2,3).
CanIExplore

Homework Statement

The problem amounts to finding the eigenvalues of the matrix

|0 1 0|
|0 0 1|
|1 0 0|
(I have no idea how to set up a matrix in the latex format, if anyone can tell me that'd be great)

Homework Equations

The characteristic equation for this matrix is

[itex]\lambda^{3}=1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution to this problem can be found on grephysics.net.
The characteristic equation can be solved by noting that
1=e[itex]^{2\pi i}[/itex]

Using this fact, the eigenvalues as noted in the solution are
[itex]\lambda_{n}=e^{\frac{2\pi i n}{3}}[/itex], (n=1,2,3)

What I don't understand, is how one goes from

[itex]\lambda^{3}=e^{2\pi i}[/itex]

to

[itex]\lambda_{n}=e^{\frac{2\pi i n}{3}}[/itex]

If [itex]\lambda^{3}=e^{2\pi i}[/itex] then we can take both sides to the power of [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex] to get [itex]\lambda=e^{\frac{2\pi i}{3}}[/itex]. But how can you just throw the n in the exponent and call these (n=1,2,3) the 3 eigenvalues?

Physics news on Phys.org
CanIExplore said:

Homework Statement

The problem amounts to finding the eigenvalues of the matrix

|0 1 0|
|0 0 1|
|1 0 0|
(I have no idea how to set up a matrix in the latex format, if anyone can tell me that'd be great)
Check out the brand new LaTeX FAQ!

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968
What I don't understand, is how one goes from

[itex]\lambda^{3}=e^{2\pi i}[/itex]

to

[itex]\lambda_{n}=e^{\frac{2\pi i n}{3}}[/itex]

If [itex]\lambda^{3}=e^{2\pi i}[/itex] then we can take both sides to the power of [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex] to get [itex]\lambda=e^{\frac{2\pi i}{3}}[/itex]. But how can you just throw the n in the exponent and call these (n=1,2,3) the 3 eigenvalues?
It's because [itex]e^{2\pi n i}=1[/itex] for all integer n. When you take the cube root of that, you find you get three distinct solutions, and the rest are repeats.

Ah yes, after using euler's formula it's much clearer now. Thanks Vela

1. What is the PGRE?

The PGRE (Physics Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test that measures a student's knowledge and understanding of physics concepts at the undergraduate level. It is commonly used as part of the admissions process for graduate programs in physics.

2. What is the Eigenvalue Problem?

The Eigenvalue Problem is a mathematical concept used in linear algebra and quantum mechanics. It involves finding the eigenvalues (or characteristic values) and corresponding eigenvectors of a linear transformation or matrix. These eigenvalues and eigenvectors can reveal important information about the system being studied.

3. Why is the Eigenvalue Problem important?

The Eigenvalue Problem is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a system by identifying its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. In physics, it is used to solve problems related to quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and other fields. It also has applications in engineering, computer science, and other areas of science and technology.

4. What are some techniques used to solve the Eigenvalue Problem?

There are several techniques used to solve the Eigenvalue Problem, including the power method, Jacobi method, and QR algorithm. These methods involve manipulating the matrix or linear transformation in various ways to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Additionally, numerical methods and software programs can also be used to solve the Eigenvalue Problem.

5. How can the Eigenvalue Problem be applied in real-world situations?

The Eigenvalue Problem has many real-world applications, such as in quantum mechanics where it is used to understand the energy levels and behavior of particles. It is also used in engineering to analyze structural systems and in computer science for data analysis and machine learning. Additionally, the Eigenvalue Problem has applications in various fields of physics, including optics, acoustics, and electromagnetism.