Ph.D in Nanotech in Europe & U.S.

In summary, the conversation is about a student from India who is interested in pursuing research in nanotechnology and is seeking advice on the best universities for this field in Europe and the US. They also inquire about the entrance exams required and the duration of a research program. Several suggestions are made, including a university in Belgium and one in Australia. The conversation also touches on the benefits of studying in the US and the importance of both academic and moral values in education. Finally, a student from Delhi Technological University seeks guidance on how to pursue a PhD abroad.
saiarun
I am doing a Masters degree in physics in India. I am interested in doing research work in nanotechnology. Can anyone please direct me which are the best universities in nanotechnology research in Europe and U.S. What are the entrance exams required. In how many years can we finish the research (in general)

Thanking you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
saiarun said:
I am doing a Masters degree in physics in India. I am interested in doing research work in nanotechnology. Can anyone please direct me which are the best universities in nanotechnology research in Europe and U.S. What are the entrance exams required. In how many years can we finish the research (in general)

Thanking you in advance

check out http://www.imec.be/

I am currently doing a nanotech-related phd there...We have a few people from India here at IMEC in Belgium.

Check out my journal for more info (the 'life of a phd physics student entries')

regards
marlon

I know Australia isn't in Europe or the US, but I know UNSW are doing a fair bit of research into nanotechnology.
www.unsw.edu.au

saiarun said:

Thanking you in advance
If you need a doctor degree in nano physics, doing it in your own hometown isn't good, is it ? nanotechnology is a new branch in physics, I think US isn't that good at all, except game programming and balloon inflation.
Surely, you might have benefits after graduating from US schools and to the worse of my knowledge one apparent benefit you should have is to be a completely aggressive scholar that all of the professors there trained you to be.
Hardest part of any entrance exams for master, doctor course will be interviews-your "talkshows" to tell some people in front of you who you are and why you choose this school, what you are doing, etc.

Good luck.

P.S oh well, I nearly forgot one more detail to say that US society can also offer you good education in becoming a "real" human being, with highest education together with moral values that no other countries in the world have ever given...

Last edited:

Hi

I have just joined M.Tech in Nanoscience and Tech from Delhi Technological University( formerly Delhi College of Engineering) in Delhi, India. I am interested in doing a PhD from a good university abroad. Kindly give me guidance as to how I should approach this objective, the exams I need to clear, no. of research papers that I need to publish and present. Hope to hear from you soon...Regards.

Related to Ph.D in Nanotech in Europe & U.S.

1. What is a Ph.D in Nanotech?

A Ph.D in Nanotech is a specialized doctoral degree in the field of nanotechnology, which involves the study and manipulation of matter at the nanoscale (1-100 nanometers). This field combines elements of physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, and materials science to explore how materials and systems behave at the nanoscale level.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a Ph.D in Nanotech?

Earning a Ph.D in Nanotech can open up a variety of career opportunities, including research and development positions in industries such as electronics, healthcare, energy, and more. It also allows for a deeper understanding of nanotechnology and the potential to make groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in the field.

3. How long does it take to complete a Ph.D in Nanotech?

The length of a Ph.D program in Nanotech can vary, but it typically takes 3-5 years to complete. This time may be extended if the student is also working on research projects or teaching during their studies.

4. What are the admission requirements for a Ph.D in Nanotech?

Admission requirements for a Ph.D in Nanotech may vary by university, but generally, applicants must have a strong academic background in a relevant field such as engineering, physics, chemistry, or biology. They may also need to submit letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and take standardized tests such as the GRE.

5. Can I pursue a Ph.D in Nanotech in Europe or the U.S. as an international student?

Yes, both Europe and the U.S. offer opportunities for international students to pursue a Ph.D in Nanotech. However, admission requirements and application processes may differ for international students, so it is important to research and carefully follow the guidelines set by the specific university you are interested in.