1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ph.D without masters degree

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    Hi guys, i currently graduated from Northumbria University, which i know is not an excellent university, but somehow i got reasonably good grade, i have applied directly into Ph.D, will there be any problem for my future carrier if i pursue my Ph.D without completing masters?

And i think i will be getting into Ph.D in Optical Communication, is there good future for this particular field?

Please advise...thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2

eri

Many PhD programs will admit you with a bachelors degree, but they will have you take the masters coursework (and maybe do a masters thesis and/or pass a qualifying exam) before proceeding to the PhD work. Some programs will award you a masters after you've done all that, some won't, but you'll get doing the masters work either way. You can't skip that.

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    Hi eri, thanks for the quick reply. I understand the concept now. Anyway how is the demand for Optics field?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook