Phase Diagram Composition Determination

In summary, using the lever rule and atomic percentages, it can be determined that at 300°C, an alloy of CuZr will consist of 64.7% Cu10Zr7 and 35.3% CuZr2. This information can be referenced on the attached Cu-Zr phase diagram.
sara06

Homework Statement

Reference the Cu-Zr phase diagram. If you make the alloy CuZr and heat it to 300°C, what percentage of the material will be Cu10Zr7 and what percentage of the material will be CuZr2?

Homework Equations

Phase diagram attached.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the lever rule. I called the alpha phase Cu10Zr7 and the beta phase CuZr2. In terms of atomic percent Zr, I have C0=0.5, Cα=0.41, and Cβ=0.665. Then the atomic percent alpha phase is (Cβ-C0)/(Cβ-Cα) which is 64.7 percent. The atomic percent beta is (C0-Cα)/(Cβ-Cα) which is 35.3 percent. So I have 64.7% Cu10Zr7 and 35.3% CuZr2.

Attachments

• Cu-Zr.jpg
    Cu-Zr.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 974
Physics news on Phys.org
sasa06, Welcome To Physics Forums.

Your calculation looks correct.

thanks!

1. What is a phase diagram?

A phase diagram is a graphical representation of the different phases or states of matter that a substance can exist in at different combinations of temperature and pressure. It shows the boundaries between these phases and the conditions under which they are stable.

2. How is composition determined on a phase diagram?

Composition is determined on a phase diagram by plotting the percentage or ratio of the different components of a substance on the diagram's axes. The intersection of these values on the diagram shows the phase that the substance will exist in at a given temperature and pressure.

3. What information can be obtained from a phase diagram?

A phase diagram provides information about the different phases of a substance, their transition points, and the conditions under which they exist. It also shows the effects of temperature and pressure on the phases and can be used to determine the composition of a substance at a specific point.

4. How is a phase diagram useful in research and industry?

Phase diagrams are essential tools in research and industry for understanding the behavior of substances at different conditions. They can be used to predict and control the properties of materials, such as melting and boiling points, and to design and optimize production processes.

5. Can phase diagrams be used for all types of substances?

Phase diagrams can be used for most substances, including pure elements, mixtures, and compounds. However, they are most commonly used for substances with well-defined phase transitions, such as water, and may not be as useful for substances with more complex phase behavior.