Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase line problem, my given solution is wrong I believe

1. Jul 13, 2012 #1
    I was given the solution to this problem:
    y'=-y^2+2y-1, plot phase line, solve it, in terms of y(0)=y0, what happens as t goes to infinity.
    So then the phase line shows x=1 is 'semistable'. Also the solution is y= 1+ (y0-1)/(1+(y0-1)t) but now he claims this, which I believe is wrong:
    if y0=1: y(t)=0 for all t>0
    if y0>1, y(t) goes to 0 as t goes to infin.
    if y0<1, y(t) goes to neg. infin. (also confused here because he now writes, "as t (arrow up) 1/(1-y0)" )

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi ericm1234! :smile:

it's easier to analyse if you write it as y - 1 = 1/(t - C) :wink:

(which is exactly what you get if you solve the equation directly)

4. Jul 13, 2012 #3
    Agreed Tiny-Tim. But now, when t=0, c=-1/(y0-1). Ok, my issue now is with the analysis that I listed above, which I believe is wrong, as I wrote it (from the solutions to the problem given to me by the teacher)

5. Jul 14, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, it's wrong :redface:

6. Jul 14, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In terms of the phase line, [itex]y'= -(y- 1)^2[/itex] so that y= 1 is an equilibrium point. For y< 1, y- 1< 0 but it is squared so that [itex]y'= -(y-1)^2[/itex] is positive and y is increasing toward y= 1 NOT toward negative infinity. For y> 1, y- 1> 0 but with the squaring we still have [itex]y'= -(y-1)^2[/itex] positive and y increases away from y= 1 to infinity.

7. Jul 14, 2012 #6
    I think you disregarded the negative sign then. y' is negative for all y, except y=1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook