Phase portrait for a conservative negative potential

In summary, the conversation discussed the phase portrait of a simple harmonic oscillator in one dimension, with a constant total energy of E=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{q}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}mω^{2}q^{2}. In minute 54, the potential was changed to be negative, resulting in an inverted potential well and non-harmonic motion. The speaker struggled to understand why the parabola was rotated to be symmetric around the x-axis, but found an explanation on page 32 of a provided solution. The reason for this rotation is that the phase trajectories would intersect if the hyperbolas remained symmetric around the y-axis.
IWantToLearn
Hi,
i was studying Classical Mechanics course introduced by the brilliant Prof. V. Balakrishnan

he was studying the phase portrait of a simple harmonic oscillator in one dimension , where the total enegry of the system is E=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]\dot{q}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mω[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]^{2}[/itex] where E is constant.
in minute 54 he suggested to change the sign of the potential to be negative:
E=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]\dot{q}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mω[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]^{2}[/itex]
the motion is not harmonic any more and the potential well is inverted to be opened in the negative y-direction, he asked to complete the phase portrait for this new motion,
i tried to think of it physically and i was half way to get it, but i failed,
here is the solution http://www-physics.ucsd.edu/students/courses/fall2010/physics200a/LECTURES/200_COURSE.pdf page 32

the reason that i failed is that i couldn't able to know why the parabola was rotated to be symmetric around the x-axis?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found one thing that convinced me somehow, the reason that the family of hyperbolas changed to be symmetric about the x-axis is that, if they will continue to be symmetric around the y-axis, phase trajectories will soon come to intersect each other, which can't be true.

it was like drawing the hyperbola as y=f(x) so it becomes symmetric around the y-axis for the first group of hyperbolas, then drawing it as x=f(y) so it is symmetric around the x-axis for the second group of hyperbolas.

1. What is a phase portrait for a conservative negative potential?

A phase portrait for a conservative negative potential is a visual representation of the behavior of a system governed by a conservative negative potential function. It plots the trajectories of the system's state variables over time, showing how they change and interact with each other.

2. How is a phase portrait for a conservative negative potential different from other types of phase portraits?

A phase portrait for a conservative negative potential is unique in that it represents a system that conserves energy. This means that the total energy of the system remains constant over time, and the trajectories in the phase portrait will never intersect or cross over each other.

3. What information can be gleaned from a phase portrait for a conservative negative potential?

A phase portrait for a conservative negative potential can provide insights into the stability and behavior of a system. It can show the equilibrium points of the system, as well as how the state variables will change in response to different initial conditions.

4. How is a phase portrait for a conservative negative potential useful in scientific research?

A phase portrait for a conservative negative potential can be a powerful tool in studying and understanding complex systems in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. It can help researchers identify stable and unstable regions of a system, and can also be used to predict future behavior and make informed decisions.

5. Are there any limitations to using a phase portrait for a conservative negative potential?

While a phase portrait for a conservative negative potential can provide valuable insights, it is important to note that it is a simplified representation of a system and may not capture all of its complexities. Additionally, it is limited to systems that can be described by a conservative negative potential function.