1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase portrait for a conservative negative potential

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    i was studying Classical Mechanics course introduced by the brilliant Prof. V. Balakrishnan

he was studying the phase portrait of a simple harmonic oscillator in one dimension , where the total enegry of the system is E=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]\dot{q}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mω[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]^{2}[/itex] where E is constant.
    in minute 54 he suggested to change the sign of the potential to be negative:
    E=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]\dot{q}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mω[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]^{2}[/itex]
    the motion is not harmonic any more and the potential well is inverted to be opened in the negative y-direction, he asked to complete the phase portrait for this new motion,
    i tried to think of it physically and i was half way to get it, but i failed,
    here is the solution http://www-physics.ucsd.edu/students/courses/fall2010/physics200a/LECTURES/200_COURSE.pdf page 32

the reason that i failed is that i couldn't able to know why the parabola was rotated to be symmetric around the x-axis?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2
    I found one thing that convinced me somehow, the reason that the family of hyperbolas changed to be symmetric about the x-axis is that, if they will continue to be symmetric around the y-axis, phase trajectories will soon come to intersect each other, which can't be true.

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3
    it was like drawing the hyperbola as y=f(x) so it becomes symmetric around the y-axis for the first group of hyperbolas, then drawing it as x=f(y) so it is symmetric around the x-axis for the second group of hyperbolas.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook