Details of total internal reflection

In summary, based on Snell's law, we can determine the existence of a critical angle when the refractive index of the medium the light is entering is smaller than the medium it is coming from. However, if the incident angle is greater than the critical angle, the resulting angle of refraction will be complex. The only variable that can provide information about this total reflected ray is \beta, which is defined as \cosh\beta = \frac{n_1}{n_2}\sin\theta_1. This leads to an expression for evanescent waves, F = A e^{i\vec k_2\cdot \vec x}, where \vec k_2 = cos\theta_2\hat i +
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Consider snell's law [itex] n_1 \sin{\theta_1}=n_2 \sin{\theta_2} [/itex]([itex] n_1 [/itex] and [itex] n_2[/itex] are real).
We know that if [itex] n_2<n_1 [/itex], there exists an incident angle called critical angle that gives a refraction angle of ninety degrees i.e. [itex] \sin{\theta_c}=\frac{n_2}{n_1} [/itex].

But if the incident angle is greater than the critical angle(i.e. [itex] \sin{\theta_1}>\frac{n_2}{n_1} [/itex]),Then:[itex] \sin{\theta_2}=\frac{n_1}{n_2}\sin{\theta_1}>1[/itex]

But we know that [itex] \sin{\theta}>1 [/itex] can happen for no real [itex] \theta [/itex],so we say that [itex] \theta_2 [/itex] should be complex:
[itex] \theta_2=\alpha+i \beta [/itex] and [itex] \sin{\theta_2}=\sin{(\alpha+i \beta)}=\sin{(\alpha)}\cos{(i \beta)}+\sin{(i \beta)}\cos{(\alpha)}=\sin{(\alpha)}\cosh{(\beta)}+i\cos{(\alpha)}\sinh{(\beta)} [/itex]

But from snell'w law,we know that [itex] \sin{\theta_2}[/itex] should be real and so we should always have [itex] cos{\alpha}=0 \Rightarrow \alpha=\frac{\pi}{2} [/itex] and so [itex] \sin{\theta_2}=\cosh{\beta} [/itex].

This means that the only variable which is capable of giving information about the Total reflected ray,is [itex] \beta [/itex]. But how?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
But from snell'w law,we know that [itex] \sin{\theta_2}[/itex] should be real
You cannot use a law in a parameter range where it does not apply.

This means that the only variable which is capable of giving information about the Total reflected ray,is [itex] \beta [/itex]. But how?
What else do you need? The angle is just the same as the incident angle.

No reason to use complex angles here. You simply defined [itex]\beta[/itex] such that [tex]\cosh \beta = \frac{n_1}{n_2}\sin \theta_1[/tex]

Now, what you do get from the treatment of this problem with complex angles is an expression for the evanescent waves [itex]F = A e^{i\vec k_2\cdot \vec x},[/itex] where [itex]\vec k_2 = cos\theta_2\hat i + sin\theta_2\hat j[/itex], and [itex]\vec x = x\hat i + y\hat j[/itex]. Now if you plug in your complex parametrization [itex]\theta_2 = \frac{\pi}{2} + \beta[/itex], than you get [tex]F = A exp [iy\,cosh\beta - x sinh\beta][/tex]

for providing the details of total internal reflection and considering Snell's law. Total internal reflection occurs when a light ray travels from a denser medium to a less dense medium, and the incident angle is greater than the critical angle. In this case, the refracted angle becomes imaginary, as you have explained. This phenomenon is possible because of the complex nature of the refracted angle, which is dependent on the imaginary component, \beta . The value of \beta determines the intensity of the reflected ray, with higher values resulting in stronger reflection. This is why \beta is important in understanding the behavior of total internal reflection. Additionally, the angle of incidence, \theta_1 , also plays a crucial role in determining the critical angle and the resulting refracted angle. As a scientist, it is important to consider both the real and imaginary components of total internal reflection in order to fully understand and predict its behavior.

1. What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray traveling through a denser medium strikes the boundary of a less dense medium at an angle greater than the critical angle. Instead of passing through the boundary, the light ray is reflected back into the denser medium.

2. What are some examples of total internal reflection?

Some common examples of total internal reflection include mirages, diamond sparkle, and fiber optic cables. In mirages, light is reflected off of the hot ground and back towards the observer, creating the illusion of water in the distance. Diamond sparkle is caused by the total internal reflection of light within the facets of a diamond, creating a brilliant and sparkling appearance. Fiber optic cables use total internal reflection to transmit light signals over long distances with minimal loss of light.

3. How is total internal reflection related to critical angle?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which total internal reflection occurs. It is determined by the refractive indices of the two materials at the boundary. If the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, total internal reflection will occur.

4. Can total internal reflection be used in everyday technology?

Yes, total internal reflection is used in various everyday technologies such as mirrors, lenses, and prisms. It is also a crucial principle in fiber optic communication, allowing for fast and efficient transmission of data over long distances.

5. Are there any applications of total internal reflection in scientific research?

Yes, total internal reflection is used in various scientific research applications, such as in microscopy techniques like total internal reflection fluorescence microscopy (TIRFM) which allows for the visualization of biological processes at the cellular level. It is also used in spectroscopy techniques to study the refractive properties of materials and in optical trapping for manipulating small particles or cells.