Phasor circuit - solving for R and L

In summary, the conversation discusses converting RMS voltages to peak voltages and applying KVL to find the voltage across a component, specifically V0. The approach of drawing a right angled triangle and solving it mathematically or graphically is also suggested to find the unknown voltages and calculate the values of the components.
matthallo

Homework Statement

Photo attached

The attempt at a solution[/b]

I have converted the RMS voltages to peak voltages, with these results:

Vs=205
V1=70.7
V0=155.6

And I am assuming we need to apply KVL somehow, but I am not sure how to proceed. I am assuming we want to find V0, and then it will follow that the REAL component of the voltage is the voltage across R, and the IMAGINARY component will be the voltage across L.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 529
Physics news on Phys.org
And I am assuming we need to apply KVL somehow

Can you show some working for a KVL analysis around this circuit?

I am assuming we want to find V0

You should be able to find it quite easily.Can you list the variables that are unknown, and theorize on how can you find them?

You could draw a right angled triangle with the two voltages across resistors along one of the shorter sides (the horizontal one) and the voltage across the inductor across the the other short side (the vertical one) and the long side would have the total voltage across it.

Then it becomes a trigonometry problem to find the unknown voltages and knowing the current and frequency, you can calculate the values of the components.

Or you could draw it very precisely and solve it graphically.

What is a phasor circuit?

A phasor circuit is an electrical circuit that uses complex numbers to represent the amplitude and phase of voltage and current. It is commonly used in AC circuits to simplify calculations and analysis.

How do I solve for R in a phasor circuit?

To solve for R, you can use Ohm's law (V = IR) and the complex impedance formula (Z = R + jX) where R is the resistance, X is the reactance, and j is the imaginary unit. By equating the two equations, you can solve for R.

How do I solve for L in a phasor circuit?

To solve for L, you can use the formula for inductive reactance (XL = 2πfL) where f is the frequency and L is the inductance. You can also use the complex impedance formula and solve for L by equating the equations for inductive reactance and reactance (X = XL = 2πfL).

What is the difference between series and parallel phasor circuits?

In a series phasor circuit, the components (resistors, capacitors, and inductors) are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel phasor circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches. The total impedance and current in a series circuit are calculated by summing the individual component values, while in a parallel circuit, the total impedance and current are calculated using complex formulas.

What is the phase difference in a phasor circuit?

The phase difference is the difference in phase between voltage and current in an AC circuit. In a purely resistive circuit, the voltage and current are in phase (0 degrees), while in a purely capacitive or inductive circuit, the voltage and current are out of phase by 90 degrees. In a phasor circuit, the phase difference is represented by the angle between the voltage and current phasors.