1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs PhD in Physics verifiable?

1. Jan 13, 2007 #1
    Someone told me they have a PhD in Physics and I went to the school's website where they supposedly graduated(years ago) but cannot verify they even went to the school.(I also cannot find any works by them at all on the internet) Is this info usually kept confidential or should I be able to verify somehow this person actually has a PhD in Physics? Can anyone say, yes I have a PhD in Physics (or whatever subject) and no one be able to verify it either way? I've never really thought about it until I actually tried checking out this person's background...now I'm intrigued.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2007 #2
    You can usually simply contact the school's administration and verify these things.

4. Jan 13, 2007 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go to the university's library webpage and type the person's name as author into the catalogue. Almost every university library has copies of Ph.D. theses produced at the university.

For example, Richard Feynman at Princeton.

5. Jan 13, 2007 #4
    When i click on that link, i get a "There is no bib data attached to this record" message.

marlon

6. Jan 13, 2007 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may have to do your own query at http://catalog.princeton.edu/ [or generally the catalog of the school where the PhD was awarded]. Usually they are stored in microform format.

You may also try to access the http://wwwlib.umi.com/dissertations/ database.

7. Jan 14, 2007 #6
    If he/she graduated fairly recently, you could try the wayback machine.

Paden Roder

8. Jan 14, 2007 #7
    calling/emailing the department head would probably be the easiest thing to do

9. Jan 16, 2007 #8
    The point of a Ph.D. is to have a verifiable way to announce to the world "See, I've jumped through these flaming hoops!" The ability to check a credential's validity with the granting institution is the key to the entire system...

10. Jan 16, 2007 #9
    Pester them about many fine details of their college learning experience like what classes they took and whatnot, then see how sure they are about their answers and whether they are hesitant.

Or ask a teacher for a college level physics problem and ask your PhD friend to explain the answer. IF they totally blow you off or seem lost, its likely they are lying.

Who are you doubting about on this. Is it a teacher?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?