PhD Title and job opportunities

In summary, the individual is a mathematician with a BSc in Mathematics and an MSc in Applied Mathematics who is now looking to pursue a PhD. They have found a PhD in next generation data-assimilation methods, but are concerned about the title being in "Atmosphere, Oceans and Climate" instead of Mathematics. They are worried about this potentially affecting their future job opportunities in mathematics. However, they have been advised that many researchers and faculty members have multiple areas of interest and it may not be a big issue. They also mention having received an offer for the PhD in "AOC" but are still waiting for other offers. They express their desire to do mathematics research and mention that it is possible to still do so with
MobiusPrime
Hey Guys.
Long time lurker here :P
I have a question about PhD titles.

I am a mathematician. I did my undergraduate degree (BSc) in Mathematics and my postgraduate degree (MSc) in Applied Mathematics, i am now looking at doing a PhD. I found an interesting PhD in next generation data-assimilation methods, and am interested in doing it. Originally I wanted to go into applied differential geometry or something on nonlinear waves, but I can't seem to get a place anywhere. This data-assimilation topic does seem cool, so I am not fussed about that instead. The thing I am curious about, I wanted a PhD in Mathematics, but this PhD would be in "Atmosphere, Oceans and Climate". For some reason, this bugs me.

If I were to go for a post-doc or a job in mathematics (where you need a PhD), would I still be able to apply with that PhD? I am a bit worried. I know it is only a title, and I am probably being a little *****, but I always imagined I would do a PhD in Mathematics. Obviously I shouldn't not do a PhD just because of the title, but if it will stop me going into post-doc in Mathematics, I may think about it.

Let me know what you think.
What would you do if you were in the same situation?

Thanks guys.

PS, someone told me that lecturers at Universities and researchers tend to have more then one area of interest. Could I research data-assimilation, applied differential geometry, nonlinear waves and quantum mechanics at a later date? (If everything goes to plan that is. I really love the latter three, but the first one (my PhD topic) is brand new to me, but does sound like something I would really like).

PPS, I have actually been offered the PhD in "AOC", to start in March. I have 6 applications still not back to me which start in October and is fully funded.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It might be a problem. It won't be a problem if for sure you will do math research, publish in math journals, and so on.

Pyrrhus said:
It might be a problem. It won't be a problem if for sure you will do math research, publish in math journals, and so on.

Ah ok. That is a bit annoying lol.
If I take it and miss out on a better offer, then I will be glum.
If I don't take it and don't get another offer, I will be extra glum lol.
I would love to do math research to be honest. I heard a lot of people get a PhD then dislike the subject so move into different areas. I know a few post-docs who do a different topic from their PhD topic. So I suppose it might not be that big an issue.

MobiusPrime said:
Ah ok. That is a bit annoying lol.
If I take it and miss out on a better offer, then I will be glum.
If I don't take it and don't get another offer, I will be extra glum lol.
I would love to do math research to be honest. I heard a lot of people get a PhD then dislike the subject so move into different areas. I know a few post-docs who do a different topic from their PhD topic. So I suppose it might not be that big an issue.

For example, Ph.D in Economics do math research and at time may become faculty in applied math departments. It does depend on the quality of the math research (and thus publications in top journals).

MobiusPrime said:
If I were to go for a post-doc or a job in mathematics (where you need a PhD), would I still be able to apply with that PhD?

Depends on how many other people are applying. If you have 2 spots and 100 applicants, getting rid of everyone that doesn't have the right credentials is a quick way of narrowing the field. If you have 10 spots and 12 (or even 20) applicants, then it's different.

Post-docs (at least in physics) tend toward the previous situation. Industry jobs in finance tend toward the latter situation.

What is a PhD title?

A PhD title, or Doctor of Philosophy, is the highest level of academic degree that can be earned in most fields. It typically requires extensive research and the completion of a dissertation or thesis.

What types of job opportunities are available for someone with a PhD?

There are a wide range of job opportunities available for individuals with a PhD, including academic positions in universities and research institutions, as well as roles in industry, government, and non-profit organizations. Some common job titles for PhD holders include professor, researcher, scientist, consultant, and analyst.

How long does it take to earn a PhD?

The length of time it takes to earn a PhD varies depending on the field of study, the individual's research topic, and their personal circumstances. On average, it takes 4-6 years to complete a PhD program, though some may take longer.

Can I pursue a PhD in any field?

While a PhD can be earned in a wide range of fields, it is typically pursued in academic disciplines such as science, engineering, social sciences, humanities, and business. It is important to research specific programs and their requirements to determine if a PhD is offered in a particular field.

What skills are required for a successful PhD program and career?

A successful PhD program and career require a combination of strong research skills, critical thinking abilities, time management, and persistence. Additionally, excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills are important for sharing research findings and collaborating with others in the field.