Proving Finite Solutions of phi(x)=n for Fixed Integer n

In summary, to prove that phi(x)=n has a finite number of solutions for a fixed integer n, we can use the fact that phi is multiplicative and show that there are only a finite number of primes and exponents that satisfy the inequality \phi(p^k)\leq n. This proves that there are a finite number of x's that satisfy the equation and thus, phi(x)=n has a finite number of solutions. Alternatively, we can also use the inequality \phi(x)\geq \sqrt{x} to show that there is a bound on the number of x's for a given n.
b0mb0nika
for n- fixed integer prove that
phi(x)=n has a finite number of solutions
I looked at 2 cases when x is even and when x is odd
1) if x is even then phi(2x)>phi(x) and I showed why it has a finite number of solutions
2) I'm not sure how to show for the case when x is odd.. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to split into even/odd. Have you seen the inequality [tex]\phi(x)\geq \sqrt{x}[/tex]? (valid if x is not 2 or 6). This isn't too difficult to show and gives a bound on the number of x's for a given n. Though if you have the even case already, you could prove the above inequality is always true for odd x.

You could also use the fact that phi is multiplicative. Show that there are a finite number of primes p that will satisfy [tex]\phi(p)\leq n[/tex]. For each of these primes there is a finite number of exponents k that will satisfy [tex]\phi(p^k)\leq n[/tex]. Conclude there are finitely many x with [tex]\phi(x)\leq n[/tex].

i think i got it.. i proved it using the fact that it's multiplicative thanks :rofl:

What is the definition of "Proving Finite Solutions"?

Proving Finite Solutions is the process of demonstrating that there is a finite number of solutions for a given equation or problem.

Why is it important to prove finite solutions?

Proving finite solutions is important because it allows us to determine the exact number of solutions for a given problem, which can help us to better understand the problem and find the most efficient solution.

What does phi(x)=n mean?

Phi(x)=n is a mathematical notation used to represent an equation or function with the variable x and a fixed integer n. It is commonly used in number theory and algebraic equations.

What are some common techniques used to prove finite solutions?

Some common techniques used to prove finite solutions include mathematical induction, contradiction, and the use of specific formulas or theorems for the given problem.

Can an equation have both finite and infinite solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an equation to have both finite and infinite solutions. For example, the equation x^2=1 has two finite solutions (x=1 and x=-1) and an infinite number of solutions when complex numbers are included.