Photo Contest - Push My Buttons (9/29-10/5)

In summary, the photo contest's theme is "Push My Buttons" and participants can submit up to 3 original photos. Anyone can participate as long as they follow the rules and guidelines, and a panel of judges will select the winners based on creativity, adherence to the theme, and overall quality. The specific prizes for the contest will be announced by the organizers.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Push My Buttons

The theme this week is all about "buttons".

This word obviously has many different meanings. It can be buttons on shirts, or buttons you push such as those in elevators, or buttons that you pin to your shirt. All of those qualify. You just have to make sure that your photo has at least one button, and it must be the main subject of your photo.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
buttons.jpg

Attachments

• buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 570
Likes AlexCaledin, DrClaude, BillTre and 5 others
jtbell said:
:smile:
Challenge accepted. I will summon more remotes than you and take a photo...

Likes jtbell
DennisN said:
I will summon more remotes than you
However, that's not my entire collection. :devil:

The programmable one in the middle (the Harmony) is the only one I actually use. It controls all the devices represented by the other remotes in the picture.

Likes DennisN
jtbell said:
However, that's not my entire collection. :devil:
Maybe @ZapperZ will allow a new photo with more remotes. :biggrin: Let's battle it out!

Here is a brand new photo of most of my remote controls, including my cat who got caught in a superposition of being on the table and off the table.

(Notes: Nobody asked for details, but I'm going to give them anyway; the three remotes with small alphanumerical keyboards are so called air mouses for controlling e.g. Android tv boxes. The three white remotes are for controlling power outlets for e.g. lighting. If you have keen eyes, you will see that one of my remotes matches one of the remotes of @jtbell . Obviously we both have a Philips DVD player. :smile:)

30103114557_bd6e519297_z.jpg

Attachments

• 30103114557_bd6e519297_z.jpg
    30103114557_bd6e519297_z.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 382
Likes DrClaude, jtbell, BillTre and 2 others
jtbell said:

DennisN said:
:smile:
Challenge accepted. I will summon more remotes than you and take a photo...

I'm all in.

upload_2018-10-1_22-48-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-1_22-48-39.png
    upload_2018-10-1_22-48-39.png
    87 KB · Views: 418
Likes jtbell, BillTre, davenn and 1 other person
@fresh_42 is in the lead with 12 remotes and a calculator. I just discovered that I had at least two more remotes, but I let my photo with merely 11 remotes be as it is, since I think fresh_42 put in a nice effort... :smile:

DennisN said:
@fresh_42 is in the lead with 12 remotes and a calculator. I just discovered that I had at least two more remotes, but I let my photo with merely 11 remotes be as it is, since I think fresh_42 put in a nice effort... :smile:
Thanks. Good that @jtbell has chosen remotes. If it was keyboards, I would have needed more height ...

Likes OmCheeto and DennisN
DennisN said:
with 12 remotes
Only twelve...I've got more than that with (1) batteries removed, (2) dead batteries, (3) no purpose I can remember, and (4) actually still in use.

Bystander said:
Only twelve...I've got more than that
Pic please. :smile:

DennisN said:
including my cat who got caught in a superposition of being on the table and off the table.
That's going to be pretty hard to beat, IMO! :smile:

Likes BillTre and DennisN
Instead of many, here is my picture of 1/2 buttons:
Two buttons (the red button and the petal).
However, depending on how things are connected and the switches are set, only one may function at a time.
(1)/(2) = 1/2

The box applies voltages to microelectrodes in grounded dishes of saline so that charged dye molecules or other things could be iontophoresed out of the microelectrode to label cells in embryos or other small things.

IMG_4609.jpg

I would like to see a negative button

Attachments

• IMG_4609.jpg
    IMG_4609.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 370
Likes DennisN and berkeman
BillTre said:
I would like to see a negative button
I thought of belly buttons but I'm afraid this wouldn't qualify.

Likes BillTre
fresh_42 said:

Belly buttons qualify.

Zz.

Likes jtbell
fresh_42 said:
ZapperZ said:
Belly buttons qualify.
But when I push my belly button nothing happens. Nothing at all. I've tried many times during the years. It's obviously not connected to any electric device, to the best of my knowledge.

DennisN said:
including my cat who got caught in a superposition of being on the table and off the table.
berkeman said:
That's going to be pretty hard to beat, IMO! :smile:
...but is the cat called Buttons?

Likes DennisN and DrClaude
Just don't press the RED button.

IMG_1626.JPG

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 362
Likes BillTre, DennisN and berkeman
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

My poor pants didn't survive but the button did.
b369e65b_o.jpg

Attachments

• b369e65b_o.jpg
    b369e65b_o.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Likes BillTre and DennisN

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Push My Buttons." This means that the photos submitted should showcase anything related to buttons, such as buttons on clothing, buttons on a remote control, or buttons on a machine.

2. Can anyone participate in the photo contest?

Yes, anyone can participate in the photo contest as long as they follow the rules and guidelines set by the organizers. This includes submitting original photos and following the specified submission period.

3. How many photos can I submit for the contest?

The limit for photo submissions varies for each contest, but for this specific contest, participants can submit up to 3 photos. However, it is important to read the rules and guidelines carefully to ensure that you are following the submission requirements.

4. How will the winners be selected?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges who will evaluate each photo based on creativity, adherence to the theme, and overall quality. The judges' decision will be final and cannot be contested.

5. What are the prizes for the winners?

The prizes for the winners may vary for each contest, but typically, there will be a first, second, and third place winner. Prizes can include cash, gift cards, photography equipment, or other valuable items. The specific prizes for this contest will be announced by the organizers.