Photodiode in parallel with resistor and capacitor

In summary: The datasheet of the photodiode says that a rise time and fall time of 100ns with Vr=10v , Rl=1kΩ , 820 nm . it is useful to have.
kum111
hello ,

I am trying to detect a laser pulse with a photodiode , having a power of 100w max of the laser beam with pulse wave of 1microsecond . when i see the output in ocilloscope the wave do not have 1 microsencond this is without any resistor or capacitor. so my question is that what happens if there is a resistor in parallel to photodiode or a resistor and capacitor in parallel to photodiode . any information about the topic will be useful . thank you all

Physics news on Phys.org
The resistor is probably going to load the photodiode. You should try a transimpedance amp.

but the wave which i measure at the load resistor do not have the same time as the laser pulse .. how could it be adjusted . laser pulse has 1 μs ... but here i just 1ms pulse per cm in oscilloscope with voltage of .5v . i have read about the transimpedance amp which is used for current to voltage . thanks for reply

the good thing about the transimpdance amp is that it puts a virtual ground at your photodiode, so all the photodiode current goes to the output. You probably have some time constant related to your resistor and capacitor that is slowing your system. Remember that your scope probe has a capacitance unless you tune it out.

kum111 said:
hello ,

I am trying to detect a laser pulse with a photodiode , having a power of 100w max of the laser beam with pulse wave of 1microsecond . when i see the output in ocilloscope the wave do not have 1 microsencond this is without any resistor or capacitor. so my question is that what happens if there is a resistor in parallel to photodiode or a resistor and capacitor in parallel to photodiode . any information about the topic will be useful . thank you all

kum111 said:
but the wave which i measure at the load resistor do not have the same time as the laser pulse .. how could it be adjusted . laser pulse has 1 μs ... but here i just 1ms pulse per cm in oscilloscope with voltage of .5v . i have read about the transimpedance amp which is used for current to voltage . thanks for reply

To measure a fast pulse like that, you need to use a fast photodiode+amp, preferably an integrated unit. Something like these:

http://www.osioptoelectronics.com/s.../high-speed-silicon-photodiodes-overview.aspx

You can find more examples with a Google search on fast photodiode amp.

Since you aren't coupling all 100W of laser power into your photodiode (at least not more than once!), how are you splitting off some of the beam and coupling it to your photodiode? Modules are available with different coupling means (like fiberoptic, windowed, etc.).

hello carlgrace ,

Then how do i control this time constant , i will use the trans amp later if needed . first i have to find what's the effect of this only resistor in parallel , or resistor and capacitor in parallel to my photodiode . The scope probe capacitance changes with the x10 , x1 is it, am a computers student , i haven't worked much with this electronics equipment . thanks for reply

kum111 said:
hwhen i see the output in ocilloscope the wave do not have 1 microsencond this is without any resistor or capacitor. so my question is that what happens if there is a resistor in parallel to photodiode or a resistor and capacitor in parallel to photodiode . any information about the topic will be useful . thank you all
Why don't you try it for yourself? Place various resistances in parallel with your oscilloscope input and see whether the pulse is cleaned up. Start with 22MΩ, and work your way down. Tell us how you go. (I don't know how well this will work. Experiment.)

hello berkeman,

am using a si pin photodiode will has a pretty fast response , there is a glass (window may be am not sure )which is fixed in front of the laser to make it fall on diode .

NascentOxygen said:
Why don't you try it for yourself? Place various resistances in parallel with your oscilloscope input and see whether the pulse is cleaned up. Start with 22MΩ, and work your way down. Tell us how you go. (I don't know how well this will work. Experiment.)

i have done this and got the Gaussian shaped pulse to 50μs , which in laser is 1μs with not much of a variation on voltage with a 300Ω. i think there is sum effect on the charge time and discharge time of the diode , but am not sure what am getting here .. thank you

Last edited:
hello all ,

The datasheet of the photodiode says that a rise time and fall time of 100ns with Vr=10v , Rl=1kΩ , 820 nm . it i need fast rise time will this be only achieved in reverse bias ?

I have made power and pulse width measurements on a a 30W Coherent AviaX laser. We directed the beam onto a power puck and placed our PIN diode in the light reflected from the power puck to get Pulse width. If you indeed have a 100W laser then you may need to do something similar.

Integral said:
I have made power and pulse width measurements on a a 30W Coherent AviaX laser. We directed the beam onto a power puck and placed our PIN diode in the light reflected from the power puck to get Pulse width. If you indeed have a 100W laser then you may need to do something similar.

Here the laser has a 100w max power for the laser beam which is 70mm long and 2 mm wide . similar to you i have to measure the power and pulse of the laser to calibrate . so do you have anymore information will be helpful , thanks for reply

got it with 1k resistor and 10v of reverse voltlage I got pulse 1μs which was needed . thanks guys

kum111 said:
got it with 1k resistor and 10v of reverse voltlage I got pulse 1μs which was needed . thanks guys
As an additional check, you should probably try some lower resistors and see that the pulse width is still 1 μs. (If it becomes less, then you were not measuring the true width at 1 μs.)

any information on integration of output from phototdiode will be helpful

kum111 said:
any information on integration of output from phototdiode will be helpful
It's not clear, to me at least, what you are asking. What do you mean by "integration"?

1. What is a photodiode and how does it work?

A photodiode is a semiconductor device that converts light into an electrical current. It works by absorbing photons (particles of light) and creating an electron-hole pair, which results in a flow of current in the opposite direction of the applied voltage.

2. Why is a resistor and capacitor connected in parallel with a photodiode?

A resistor and capacitor are connected in parallel with a photodiode to create a low pass filter. This helps to filter out any high frequency noise or fluctuations in the electrical signal produced by the photodiode, resulting in a more accurate and stable output.

3. What is the purpose of using a photodiode in parallel with a resistor and capacitor?

The purpose of using a photodiode in parallel with a resistor and capacitor is to create a circuit that can accurately measure and convert light into an electrical signal. The resistor and capacitor act as components that help to stabilize and filter the output, while the photodiode itself is responsible for converting the light into an electrical current.

4. What are some common applications of a photodiode in parallel with a resistor and capacitor?

There are many applications for a circuit consisting of a photodiode, resistor, and capacitor. Some common examples include light sensors, optical communication systems, and laser power meters. They are also commonly used in photovoltaic cells for converting solar energy into electricity.

5. How do I choose the appropriate resistor and capacitor values for a circuit with a photodiode?

The choice of resistor and capacitor values will depend on the specific application and the desired output. In general, a higher resistor value will result in a lower output current, while a larger capacitor will result in a longer response time. It is important to consult circuit diagrams and datasheets for guidance on selecting the appropriate values for your specific circuit.