Photoelectric effect question

In summary: The lattice, ie phonons, may also absorb the photons. However, the photoelectric effect is still the predominant cause of the drop in the work function as the frequency of the photons increases. The photoelectric effect is a process in which photons knock off electrons from an object, and this effect is most pronounced at certain frequencies.
hurricane89
does increasing the intensity of the light lower the threshold frequency at which photons knock off electrons?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's independent of the intensity.

so much for my theory then hah. thanks

What about an intensity high enough to increase the temperature of the material? The work function is a function of temperature right? Of course I'm nitpicking a little bit but I'm interested :) Of course the material will have to absorb that wavelength.

Edit bad grammar!: I think the proof behind the photoelectric effect was the fact that by increasing the intensity of the of the light impinging on a material there was no change in the work function. Only by changing the wavelength and thus the energy of the light hitting the material changed whether or not electrons were knocked out of the material. Pretty sure that is the basis for the photoelectric affect and the discovery of quantized energy levels. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
The work function is a function of temperature right? Of course I'm nitpicking a little bit but I'm interested :) Of course the material will have to absorb that wavelength.

Without the sufficient frequency (small enough wavelength) the photons will be just reflected and not absorbed. There are only two possibilities, one photon of sufficient frequency (hence sufficient energy opposing the work function) is absorbed to knock one electron off the metal, or the photon being knocked off (reflected from the metal).

Higher intensity means that there are more photons in the stream of light, but without the sufficient frequency, they are all going to be reflected, and not increasing the temperature of the metal because no energy is absorbed by the metal to be converted to heat energy.

(I have sufficient knowledge in photoelectric effect, but I'm not very advanced at thermodynamics, so my answer might be wrong).

But that's only if electrons are the only thing absorbing the photons. What about the lattice, ie phonons, absorbing the photons? Isn't that why the absorption of a material vs wavelength isn't a flat drop off at the work function? (which you'd expect if the photoelectric effect was the only thing happening).

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a metal surface when it is exposed to light. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905 through his theory of quantum mechanics.

What are the major applications of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect has many practical uses in various fields such as solar cells, photodiodes, photoelectric sensors, and photomultiplier tubes. It is also used in photography, spectroscopy, and in the development of electronic devices.

What is the difference between the photoelectric effect and the photovoltaic effect?

The photoelectric effect refers to the emission of electrons from a metal surface, while the photovoltaic effect is the conversion of light energy into electrical energy in a semiconductor material. The photoelectric effect is used in devices such as photomultiplier tubes, while the photovoltaic effect is the basis for solar cells.

What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is influenced by several factors such as the intensity of light, the frequency of light, the type of metal used, and the surface area of the metal. Higher intensity and frequency of light, as well as a larger surface area of the metal, will result in a higher number of emitted electrons.

How does the photoelectric effect support the particle nature of light?

The photoelectric effect provides evidence for the particle nature of light, as described in Einstein's theory of quantum mechanics. The fact that electrons are emitted only when light of a certain frequency is shone on a metal surface supports the idea that light is made up of discrete particles, or photons, with specific energies.