1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectric effect white light

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    White light (ranging in wavelengths from 380 to 750 nm) is incident on a metal with work function Wo = 2.46 eV.
    (a) What is the maximum kinetic energy of the electrons emitted from the surface?

KEmax = eV

E = hf = hc/lamda.

E = (6.626*10^-34)(3*10^8) / (750*10^-9) = 2.6504E-19

I know to get KEmax i need to do 2.35- something = 0

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Note that energy of the photon is 'inversely proportional' to wavelength, and directly proportional to frequency.

The KEmax(photoelectron) = Emax(photon) - Wo

4. Oct 6, 2006 #3
    so i found emax which was 2.65E-19 right? so wat i would do is 2.65E-19 - 2.35???

5. Oct 6, 2006 #4

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

Your E_max value is the energy contained within the photon of light.
    For every photon absorbed (E_max worth of energy), some amount of that energy is spent removing the electron from the metal and the rest goes into the KE of the electron.

KE_max_electron = E_max - W_o
    You are given a value for W_o in terms of electronvolts (a unit of energy) and you have previously calculated the E_max value, so you should be able to calculate from here the max KE value of the electron.

1 eV = 1.602176462 E-19 Joules

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?