Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photographic 'Circular Polarisers': what are they?

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For years, I have been using a rotatable linear polariser to improve landscape photographs.
    They work very well at reducing the reflections from water, reduce the effects of haze and generally sex-up pictures.
    I thought the reason was quite simply that they reject on particular polarisation plane.
    The latest thing, on Photo Forums, seems to be the 'Circular Polariser', which is claimed to have a similar effect and which is marketed by Hoya, for example. These filters are also rotatable.
    I queried what they did and was told that they do the same enhancement of landscape pictures and that one could be used in conjunction with linear polariser to get cancellation (as with crossed polaroids) at a particular angle.

You can produce circularly polarised light fairly easily with a quarter wave plate system but I don't see how that can select / reject one particular polarisation - because the E vector rotates to every angular value.

Am I missing something here? Is it just an advertiser's way of renaming a Round, Rotatable Polariser as a Circular Polariser or is there some genuine effect here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Circular polarizer filters are a linear polarizer (to select one polarization) followed by a quarter wave plate to generate circular polarization again.
    The only reason to use a circular is if you have a camera where the autofocus uses a beam splitter to take off part of the light (which is pretty much all of them)

4. Dec 1, 2009 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. That make sense.
    So, yet again, I must dig deep in my pockets!

5. Dec 1, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'd be surprised if those circular polarizers work that well- the polarizer may be very achromatic, but the retarder is likely not. In addition, the acceptance angle of a retarder is usually small. At least, the achromatic retarders I have seen (Fresnel rhombs) are very large and have small aceptance angles.

6. Dec 1, 2009 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just checked. My pentax k10 focusses perfectly well with an old fashioned polariser. So I just don't care! So there, Mr. Hoya.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook