Orientation of Lowest Energy Photons from Hydrogen

• Thread starter HarryWertM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, the orientation of a photon emitted by an atom is indeterminate and can only be determined by measuring the atom's recoil. The direction of the photon's travel is influenced by the angular momentum of the atom, which points in a certain direction. Quantum mechanics is well understood and predicts probabilities instead of certainties when measuring certain quantities. The laws of physics in everyday life are completely understood.
HarryWertM
What is the orientation of a photon emitted by an atom? By orientation, I mean the direction of the photon's travel relative to the orbital axis of the electron. Consider only the lowest energy photons from Hydrogen atoms. I am sure I would not understand anything more complex.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, my own best answer... There are no "planar" orbits in modern atomic theory which might - might, as far as I know - be the "standing wave model" in which there is no way to define an orbital axis and thus no orientation for an emitted photon.

This leaves much for a civilian to wonder about. In particular, I read somewhere - don't ask where - that the lowest energy wave function for a hydrogen electron oscillates back and forth directly through the nucleus. This obviously defines an orientation which in turn might define some experimental observables for photon absorption. Like in frozen hydrogen? What kinds of results can be predicted if a sample of frozen hydrogen is zapped in the new attosecond x-ray laser at SLAC?

Behind this particular subject is the more sense of just how much "reality" there is in modern physics. There seems no end to experimental phenomena of uncertain predictability as well as no end to new theories. Does anybody really understand anything?

HarryWertM said:
What is the orientation of a photon emitted by an atom? By orientation, I mean the direction of the photon's travel relative to the orbital axis of the electron. Consider only the lowest energy photons from Hydrogen atoms. I am sure I would not understand anything more complex.
There isn't, it's indeterminate. If you measure the atom's recoil, *then* you can say that the photon took the opposite direction (entanglement), but with many repetitions of the experiment you would find all possible directions.

Photons get emitted when electrons in atoms transition from higher energy states to lower energy states. There are many different transitions an atom can undergo depending on which energy state it starts in. Photons emitted in a given transition are more likely to go in some directions than others. As you note, for one direction to be more probable than another requires something to pick out a special direction--this is done by the angular momentum of the atom, which points in a certain direction (even though the electrons don't have well-defined "orbits").

HarryWertM said:
There seems no end to experimental phenomena of uncertain predictability as well as no end to new theories. Does anybody really understand anything?

Quantum mechanics is very well understood. It simply predicts probabilities instead of certainties when you measure certain quantities, and gives mathematical reasons why this is the best you can do. Certainly there are plenty of theories about many poorly-understood phenomena, but as http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2010/09/23/the-laws-underlying-the-physics-of-everyday-life-are-completely-understood/" points out, "the laws underlying the physics of everyday life are completely understood."

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Orientation of Lowest Energy Photons from Hydrogen

1. What is the orientation of the lowest energy photons from hydrogen?

The lowest energy photons from hydrogen have a random orientation in space. This means that they can be emitted in any direction, with equal probability.

2. How is the orientation of photons from hydrogen determined?

The orientation of photons from hydrogen is determined by the energy level transitions of the hydrogen atom. When an electron in the atom transitions from a higher energy level to a lower one, a photon is emitted with a specific energy and direction.

3. Can the orientation of photons from hydrogen be controlled?

No, the orientation of photons from hydrogen cannot be controlled. It is determined by the laws of quantum mechanics and the energy levels of the hydrogen atom.

4. How does the orientation of photons from hydrogen affect their behavior?

The orientation of photons from hydrogen does not affect their behavior or properties. The energy and wavelength of the photon determines its behavior, not its orientation.

5. Is the orientation of photons from hydrogen important in scientific research?

In some cases, the orientation of photons from hydrogen may be important in certain experiments or studies. However, in most cases, the energy and wavelength of the photon are more important factors in scientific research.