Photon stream impinging on half-silvered mirror

In summary, when light is directed towards a half-silvered mirror, it reflects half of the light and transmits the other half. The photon that approaches the mirror is represented as [A>, but after interacting with the mirror, it evolves into [B> + i[C>, where C is the reflected light. The "i" factor is due to a phase shift of a quarter of a wavelength between the reflected and transmitted beams. This is because the reflected light travels a slightly longer distance before reaching the detector. The reason for this phase shift is still unclear and further explanation is needed.
Billyneutron
In the classic experiment, light impinges on half-silvered mirror, the mirror reflects just half the light and transmits the rest.

The photon before encounter with the mirror is [A>, then afterwards it evolves according to U to become [B> + i[C> (where C is the reflected light). The imaginary factor "i" is said to arise because of a net phase shift by a quarter of a wavelength which occurs between reflected and transmitted beams.

I'm confused with this last part- Why, again, is "I" used? I'm unclear about the phase shift by 1/4 wavelength. Can anyone explain this in laymens?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

1. What is a half-silvered mirror?

A half-silvered mirror, also known as a semi-transparent mirror, is a type of mirror that reflects approximately half of the light that hits its surface and transmits the other half through the mirror.

2. How does a half-silvered mirror work?

A half-silvered mirror is made by coating one side of a piece of glass with a thin layer of a reflective material, such as aluminum or silver. This thin layer allows some light to pass through while reflecting the rest. The amount of light that is reflected or transmitted depends on the angle at which the light hits the mirror.

3. What is a photon stream?

A photon stream refers to a group of photons, which are particles of light. These photons can travel through space as a stream or bundle of energy, and their behavior can be affected by different materials and surfaces, such as a half-silvered mirror.

4. How does a photon stream behave when it impinges on a half-silvered mirror?

When a photon stream hits a half-silvered mirror, some of the photons will be reflected and some will be transmitted through the mirror. The angle at which the photons hit the mirror will determine the amount of light that is reflected or transmitted. This phenomenon is known as partial reflection.

5. What is the significance of studying the behavior of a photon stream impinging on a half-silvered mirror?

Studying the behavior of a photon stream on a half-silvered mirror can help scientists understand the properties of light and how it interacts with different materials. This knowledge has numerous applications in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and solar energy. It can also help in developing new technologies and improving existing ones.