Why is there a discrepancy in my post counts on PhysicsForums?

• Thread starter joeyar
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discrepancy between the number of posts shown on a user's profile and the number shown when using the 'Find all posts by' option. This is due to posts made under the General Discussion section not being counted towards the post count. This is also the case for posts made under the Feedback section.
joeyar
Clicking on my profile, I am told I have made 9 posts in PhysicsForums. However, according to the 'Find all posts by Joeyar' option I have made 35 (this is my 36th)

What's with the large discrepancy? A four-fold difference!

Physics news on Phys.org
joeyar said:
Clicking on my profile, I am told I have made 9 posts in PhysicsForums. However, according to the 'Find all posts by Joeyar' option I have made 35 (this is my 36th)

What's with the large discrepancy? A four-fold difference!

Posts under general discussion don't count towards your post count.

That would solve the mystery then. Thanks guys, maybe I need to start posting elsewhere as well.

ah, i was suspecting this, but was too lazy to go back and really see if that many of my posts were deleted

Greg Bernhardt said:
Posts aren't counted in General Discussion.

Are they also disabled in feedback as well now Greg?

Kurdt said:
Are they also disabled in feedback as well now Greg?

That appears to be the case.

1. What is a "PhysForum Post Count"?

A "PhysForum Post Count" refers to the number of posts or comments that a user has made on the PhysForum website. Each time a user contributes to a discussion by posting a comment or starting a new thread, their post count increases by one.

2. How can I view my own PhysForum Post Count?

To view your own PhysForum Post Count, simply log into your account and navigate to your profile. Your post count will be displayed next to your username or profile picture.

3. Can my PhysForum Post Count be changed or reset?

No, your PhysForum Post Count is a cumulative total of all the posts you have made on the website and cannot be changed or reset. However, if you delete any of your posts, your post count will decrease accordingly.

4. Do all posts count towards my PhysForum Post Count?

Yes, all posts and comments made on the PhysForum website will count towards your post count. This includes both text and image posts, as well as replies to other users' comments.

5. Does having a higher PhysForum Post Count make me a more reputable user?

No, a higher PhysForum Post Count does not necessarily make a user more reputable. The quality and relevance of a user's posts are more important factors in determining their reputation on the website.