Physical meaning of orthonormal basis

In summary, an orthonormal basis is a set of vectors in a coordinate system that are all perpendicular to each other and have a length of 1. This concept has various physical interpretations and is commonly used in practical applications such as Principal Component Analysis (PCA) to eliminate noise and redundancy in data. Orthonormality is essential in this process, but its physical interpretation may vary depending on the specific application.
LGB
I want to know what orthonormal basis or transformation physically means. Can anyone please explain me with a practical example? I prefer examples as to where it is put to use practically rather than examples with just numbers..

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that a "physical" meaning of an orthonormal basis is exactly what it says: a basis in which each basis vector has length 1 and are all perpendicular to each other.

Given any coordinate system in which the coordinate axes cross at right angles, the vectors defined by the coordinates will form an orthonormal basis.

Perhaps I just don't know what you mean by a "physically means". Mathematical concepts can have a number of different physical interpretations. They do not have a specific physical meaning.

Thank you HallsofIvy. I just meant the physical interpratation only. I want to know where it is practically been put to use. Also I need to know about orthonormal matrices used in PCA(Principal Component Analysis). Suppose if am recording some 100 data and I need to eliminate noise and redundancy, am going for PCA. There i have to use orthonormality. The thing is I couldn't visualize wat actually orthonormal transformation does. Need some help on it.

1. What is the physical significance of an orthonormal basis?

An orthonormal basis is a set of vectors that are both orthogonal (perpendicular) and normalized (unit length). This means that these vectors can be used as a coordinate system to describe the physical properties of a system or object, such as its position, orientation, or motion. Essentially, an orthonormal basis allows us to break down complex physical quantities into simpler components that are easier to analyze and understand.

2. How is an orthonormal basis related to the concept of linear independence?

An orthonormal basis is a set of linearly independent vectors, meaning that no vector in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. This is because each vector in an orthonormal basis is unique and has a magnitude of 1, making it impossible to combine with other vectors to create a duplicate or different vector. In other words, an orthonormal basis is a special case of a linearly independent set of vectors.

3. Can an orthonormal basis be applied to any type of coordinate system?

Yes, an orthonormal basis can be applied to any type of coordinate system, including Cartesian, polar, or spherical coordinates. This is because the concept of orthogonality and normalization can be applied to any set of basis vectors, as long as they meet the criteria of being perpendicular and having a unit magnitude.

4. How does an orthonormal basis simplify calculations in physics and engineering?

An orthonormal basis simplifies calculations by breaking down complex physical quantities into simpler components that are easier to manipulate and analyze. For example, in physics, an orthonormal basis can be used to describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in terms of its x, y, and z components, making it easier to solve equations and understand the behavior of the object. In engineering, an orthonormal basis can be used to analyze forces and moments acting on a structure, simplifying the design process.

5. What is the difference between an orthonormal basis and a general basis in linear algebra?

The main difference between an orthonormal basis and a general basis in linear algebra is that an orthonormal basis has the added criteria of being orthogonal and normalized, while a general basis does not necessarily have these properties. This means that calculations involving an orthonormal basis will be simpler and more intuitive, but a general basis may be more flexible and applicable in certain situations.