Physicist Personalities & Traits

• Thread starter LLD1231
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, many flashes of physics genius have come from people with Asperger's or autistic traits. You might find the following video by Prof Simon Baren-Cohen interesting.
LLD1231
I always think of physicists as a special breed apart. As a novelist, I’m very curious about the characteristics and personalities of physicists and often wonder if I have the ‘big picture’, so to speak.

For instance, what types of things do you do or say in your everyday life, in relationships, work, etc that other people don’t do or say? Things that you know are a bit quirky (or not) that might surprise others to know about you. I’d really like to hear your stories.

Physics news on Phys.org
LLD1231 said:
I always think of physicists as a special breed apart. As a novelist, I’m very curious about the characteristics and personalities of physicists and often wonder if I have the ‘big picture’, so to speak.

For instance, what types of things do you do or say in your everyday life, in relationships, work, etc that other people don’t do or say? Things that you know are a bit quirky (or not) that might surprise others to know about you. I’d really like to hear your stories.
I suggest you look at the typical characteristics of Asperger's Syndrome. Many flashes of physics genius have come from people with Asperger's or autistic traits. You might find the following video by Prof Simon Baren-Cohen interesting:

These traits illustrate an extreme male brain, which seems to have come about as a long evolutionary process driven by the self interest of the species. Such a brain tends to be systematising rather than empathetic. As a novelist, you are not in this category.

This thread seems to be all about encouraging stereotypes. Is that a path we want to go down?

Vanadium 50 said:
stereotypes
I don't think so, but ...
Vanadium 50 said:
seems
...?

Vanadium 50 said:
This thread seems to be all about encouraging stereotypes. Is that a path we want to go down?
We do not. And the reason is, not because we all have a form of Asperger, but we all have chosen to follow the scientific approach. Any statement "All members of <insert group of your choice> are <insert a property of your choice>!" are necessarily wrong. Always. The set of physicists is as colorful as other groups of people are. Maybe they are a bit more intelligent than average persons due to the process they had to go through, but even this is a claim which cannot be stated without the support of an according study. Not all physicists are little Newtons!

Thread closed.

Likes Tom.G, Wrichik Basu, Evo and 2 others

1. What makes a successful physicist?

A successful physicist possesses a strong understanding of fundamental physics principles, excellent mathematical and analytical skills, and the ability to think creatively and critically. They also have a passion for learning, persistence, and dedication to their work.

2. Are all physicists introverted and socially awkward?

No, not all physicists are introverted and socially awkward. While many may prefer working independently, there are also physicists who are outgoing and enjoy collaborating with others. It is a common misconception that all scientists have a specific personality type.

3. Do physicists have to be good at math?

Yes, mathematics is a crucial tool in the field of physics. Physicists use mathematical equations and models to describe and understand the natural world. However, being good at math does not necessarily mean being a mathematical genius. With practice and dedication, anyone can improve their mathematical skills.

4. Is creativity important for a physicist?

Yes, creativity is essential for a physicist. In order to come up with new theories and ideas, physicists must think outside the box and approach problems from different angles. Creativity also plays a role in designing experiments and developing new technologies.

5. Can anyone become a physicist?

While anyone can study physics and become knowledgeable in the subject, becoming a professional physicist requires a significant amount of education and training. It also takes a certain level of natural aptitude and passion for the field. However, with hard work and determination, anyone can pursue a career in physics.