Physicist Personalities & Traits

• Thread starter LLD1231
  • Start date
LLD1231
I always think of physicists as a special breed apart. As a novelist, I’m very curious about the characteristics and personalities of physicists and often wonder if I have the ‘big picture’, so to speak.

For instance, what types of things do you do or say in your everyday life, in relationships, work, etc that other people don’t do or say? Things that you know are a bit quirky (or not) that might surprise others to know about you. I’d really like to hear your stories.

Answers and Replies

tech99
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I always think of physicists as a special breed apart. As a novelist, I’m very curious about the characteristics and personalities of physicists and often wonder if I have the ‘big picture’, so to speak.

For instance, what types of things do you do or say in your everyday life, in relationships, work, etc that other people don’t do or say? Things that you know are a bit quirky (or not) that might surprise others to know about you. I’d really like to hear your stories.
I suggest you look at the typical characteristics of Asperger's Syndrome. Many flashes of physics genius have come from people with Asperger's or autistic traits. You might find the following video by Prof Simon Baren-Cohen interesting:

These traits illustrate an extreme male brain, which seems to have come about as a long evolutionary process driven by the self interest of the species. Such a brain tends to be systematising rather than empathetic. As a novelist, you are not in this category.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
This thread seems to be all about encouraging stereotypes. Is that a path we want to go down?

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2022 Award
This thread seems to be all about encouraging stereotypes. Is that a path we want to go down?
We do not. And the reason is, not because we all have a form of Asperger, but we all have chosen to follow the scientific approach. Any statement "All members of <insert group of your choice> are <insert a property of your choice>!" are necessarily wrong. Always. The set of physicists is as colorful as other groups of people are. Maybe they are a bit more intelligent than average persons due to the process they had to go through, but even this is a claim which cannot be stated without the support of an according study. Not all physicists are little Newtons!

Thread closed.

Likes Tom.G, Wrichik Basu, Evo and 2 others

Suggested for: Physicist Personalities & Traits

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post