Physics: an elephant pushing a shopping cart

In summary, the FBDs for the elephant and cart appear to be correct except for the forces caused by the objects themselves. The forces acting on the elephant should only include Fg and Fn, while the forces acting on the cart should only include Fg, Fn, and Ffr. The correct values for the forces and coefficient of friction have been calculated and it is assumed that the friction in this scenario is static.
N_L_
My question is whether the FBDs I have for the following problem are correct or not:

A 320 kg homeless elephant pushes a 700 kg shopping cart. The coefficient of static friction between the feet of the elephant and the ground is 0.98. The elephant (and the cart) accelerate at 0.27 m/s^2. Assume the elephant is pushing hard (just before its feet start slipping).

In the figure the cart is on the left and the elephant is on the right.

In the FBD for the elephant I have Fg pointing down, Fn pointing up, the force of the elephant on the cart pointing left, the force of the cart on the elephant pointing right, and the force of friction pointing right.

In the FBD for the cart I have Fg pointing down, Fn pointing up, the force of the cart on the elephant pointing right, the force of the elephant on the cart pointing left, and the force of friction pointing right.

Correct? Incorrect? Not even close :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
N_L_ said:
My question is whether the FBDs I have for the following problem are correct or not:

A 320 kg homeless elephant pushes a 700 kg shopping cart. The coefficient of static friction between the feet of the elephant and the ground is 0.98. The elephant (and the cart) accelerate at 0.27 m/s^2. Assume the elephant is pushing hard (just before its feet start slipping).

In the FBD for the elephant I have Fg pointing down, Fn pointing up, the force of the elephant on the cart pointing left, the force of the cart on the elephant pointing right, and the force of friction pointing right.

In the FBD for the cart I have Fg pointing down, Fn pointing up, the force of the cart on the elephant pointing right, the force of the elephant on the cart pointing left, and the force of friction pointing right.

Correct? Incorrect? Not even close :confused:

Pretty close but the forces that the elephant causes should not be in the fbd for the elephant and it is the same way for the cart. Only put the forces acting on the objects.

Okay. Thank you for the clarification.

Only include the Forces which act on the object (singular) that it is a FBD of.

Is this correct?

a) The force of the cart on the elephant.
b) The force of the elephant on the cart.
c) The force of friction on the cart.
d) The coefficient of friction for the cart.
e) Is this static or kinetic friction?

Given:

Elephant = 320 kg
Cart = 700 kg
Mus = 0.98
acceleration = 0.27 m/s^2

What I got:

Fapplied = the force of the elephant on the cart
Fc/e = the force of the cart on the elephant
Ffr = force friction

The sum of the forces on the elephant in the X direction = Fapp - Ffr = ma

Ffr = 0.98*m*g = 3073.28 Newtons

Fapp - 3083.28 = 320 kg * 0.27

Fapp = 3159.68 Newtons

Fc/e - Ffr = m*a
3159.68 - Mu (9.8 * 700) = 700 * .27
Mu = .433

a. 3159 Newtons

b. The force of the cart on the elephant is equal and opposite to that of the elephant on the cart.

c. Ffr = 3073 Newtons

d. .433

e. It has to be static friction in order for the wheels of the cart to turn?

Are these answers correct?

What is the concept behind "Physics: an elephant pushing a shopping cart"?

The concept behind "Physics: an elephant pushing a shopping cart" is to apply the principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to a seemingly unusual scenario of an elephant pushing a shopping cart. This helps us understand the fundamental laws of physics and their real-life applications.

How does the mass of the elephant and the shopping cart affect the motion?

The mass of the elephant and the shopping cart will affect the motion according to Newton's second law, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). The greater the mass, the greater the force needed to accelerate or change the motion of the objects.

What forces are at play in this scenario?

There are several forces at play in this scenario, including the force of the elephant pushing the cart, the gravitational force pulling the elephant and the cart towards the ground, and the normal force exerted by the ground on the cart to support its weight.

How does friction play a role in this scenario?

Friction plays a significant role in this scenario as it opposes the motion of the elephant and the cart. The friction between the wheels of the cart and the ground will determine how easily the elephant can push the cart and how fast it can move.

What other factors may affect the motion of the elephant and the shopping cart?

Other factors that may affect the motion of the elephant and the shopping cart include the surface of the ground, the angle of the incline (if any), and the strength and direction of the wind. These factors can alter the forces acting on the objects and change their motion accordingly.