• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Other Physics and Medicine

It's definitely possible to major in physics and go to med school. If you do really well in the major it will make you stand out from the other applicants.

I also know a few people who majored in physics and/or biophysics who are now in MD PhD programs. You will be in school for a long time, but tuition is waived for medical school and you get a stipend. They are incredibly difficult to get into for this reason. It seems that the MD PhD is a good choice for people who want to be doctors but are also highly research oriented (although you definitely do not need a PhD to do clinical research).
thanks for the info I know about the MD PhD program and it's interesting.

I'm coming in late on this too, because I was traveling while this thread was originally active. Nevertheless, I'd like to reinforce Choppy's comment above.

The college where I taught for many years has sent many graduates to medical school even though it does not have a "pre-med" major. A committee of faculty members from several departments (including physics) advises prospective medical school applicants, recommends a set of courses for them to take (including intro physics), and writes letters of recommendation for them. Students can major in any field that allows them to fit the recommended pre-med courses into their schedule. Most of them major in biology, but a significant number do major in other fields and get into medical school successfully, e.g. chemistry, psychology, English, political science (!) and yes, physics.
Thanks for the information I have a question is it possible to do both med school and physics grad school I mean most universities have both a medical school and a college of science.

D

Derlin18

i think the only way to do that would be to apply to an M.D. PhD program and even then i am not aware of any schools that offer a Ph.D in physics while doing an M.D. although my research on the topic isn't extensive
funny you should mention it though I know of someone who got her Ph.D in physics worked for a couple years and is now in medical school lol I think it would be best to do a bit more reflecting and figure out which path you would like to embark on first

i think the only way to do that would be to apply to an M.D. PhD program and even then i am not aware of any schools that offer a Ph.D in physics while doing an M.D. although my research on the topic isn't extensive
funny you should mention it though I know of someone who got her Ph.D in physics worked for a couple years and is now in medical school lol I think it would be best to do a bit more reflecting and figure out which path you would like to embark on first
I know :smile::smile::smile: I definitely don't want to be in my mid-30s going to med school or physics grad school

radium

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I know an MD PhD who did his PhD in physics so it's definitely possible.

I know an MD PhD who did his PhD in physics so it's definitely possible.
How long did it take him and how old was? The same as a regular physics PhD?

radium

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I don't know how old he was but the physics PhD took four years but as a theorist.

I don't know how old he was but the physics PhD took four years but as a theorist.
Fours years for a PhD........ Don't tell me it was in it the states.....

radium

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Yes it was in the US. Sometimes the PhD portion of an MD/PhD can be shorter than the average PhD. I do know other people in physics who got their PhD in four years but it's become pretty rare. The average is getting around 6 now.